Are skin tags affecting your appearance? Have those become an annoyance? Finally, it may be the right time for you to know ways on how to get rid of skin tags.
Skin tags or acrochordons are the harmless growths that develop on the skin surface and look like tiny flaps of skin. Although they’re non-cancerous and harmless in nature, they can affect your self-esteem if they appear on the face.
Skin tags commonly develop on your skin folds at places like armpit, eyelids, neck or groin area. They constitute of fibers, fat cells and nerve cells that are covered by the epidermis layer of the skin. Before you know the methods to remove skin tags, let’s know about the causes.
What Causes Skin Tags?
Skin tags can develop to anyone and anywhere on the body. Also, there isn’t any scientific reason for their occurrence but it is believed that skin tags tend to occur where skin rubs against clothing or skin.
Since acrochordon is sometimes linked with high blood glucose, it may be a sign of pre-diabetes and could be a warning sign for Diabetes Mellitus (Type 2.) According to a study, it can be due to obesity also.
It has also been found that older people have more tendencies to develop skin tags. Pregnant ladies are also likely to develop skin tags due to hormonal changes. Some people may develop them for no evident reason.
According to a 2008 study, HPV – Human Papilloma Virus was found in 48.6% of the lesions researchers examined. Skin tags are associated with HPV 11 and HPV 6, which can cause warts in your genital area.
10 Easy Ways Of How To Get Rid Of Skin Tags
1. Tea Tree Oil To Shed Your Skin Tags
Tea tree is one of the common ingredients used in various home remedies to treat various skin problems like pimples, acne scars, razor bumps. It is also good for your hair, especially for dandruff. Some people have used it to remove skin tags and have seen effective results.
How Does Tea Tree Oil Help In Getting Rid Of Skin Tags?
Terpinene and Cineol are the two main components of tea tree oil that are useful in treating a number of skin problems due to its antiviral, antifungal and antibacterial properties.
The best thing about tea tree oil – You won’t feel any pain and the results are quick. The antiseptic properties of this magical potion will prevent further infection after the removal of skin tag.
- Firstly, you need to properly wash the area around your skin tag with soap and water.
- After drying the area, apply 2-3 drops of diluted tea tree oil (1:1 Oil:Water) to the affected area with a Q-tip.
- Place a band-aid over the affected area after a few minutes as it’ll help the oil to work much quicker.
- Repeat this process 2-3 times a day for quick results.
- Your skin tag will become dark and will eventually fall off within 3-4 days.
Warning: Don’t use this product near your eyes. Don’t apply undiluted tea tree oil on skin.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar To Remove Skin Tags
Apple Cider Vinegar has various incredible health benefits and it has been used to treat a sore throat, diarrhea, dandruff etc. It is also used to detox our body and treat various skin problems like blackheads, acne scars, and skin tags.
According to a study, ACV has proven to be somewhat effective in the treatment of warts. It has been observed in certain cases that acrochordons (skin tags) is an indicator of low-risk forms of HPV – Human Papilloma Virus. Since warts occur due to HPV, Apple Cider Vinegar can also be beneficial to remove skin tags.
How can ACV help you?
The acidic nature of ACV will help in breaking down the cells and tissues of the skin tag. After using ACV for a few days tag will become dark and eventually fall. People who have used this home remedy claim that Apple Cider Vinegar works without leaving any scars.
Instructions To Use ACV As A Skin Tag Remover
- Firstly, wash the skin around acrochordon with lukewarm water and soap.
- After drying the skin tag, scratch it gently with a toothpick.
- Dip cotton ball in ACV and apply it on the affected area.
- After a few minutes, place a plaster over it and leave it overnight.
- Remove the plaster on next morning and wash it with water.
- Repeat the procedure for 4-5 days.
- If there is continuous irritation in the morning, then stop following this remedy.
NOTE: If you have sensitive skin, then you should add some water to ACV before applying it.
3. Banana Peel To Combat Your Annoyance
Bananas contain various minerals and vitamins that are good for our health. It is used in various home remedies to treat conditions like heartburn, diarrhea etc. Banana peels are also loaded with minerals, which are effective in treating warts.
How Does Banana Peels Help In Removing Skin Tags?
Banana peel is a rich source of potassium and other minerals which help to remove skin tags at home. You need to use it for nearly 2-3 weeks to see results. This remedy works a bit slow, but it can end your search on Google queries like – How to get rid of skin tags permanently?
- Wash the affected area with lukewarm water and soap and dry it.
- Scratch the skin tag gently with a toothpick. Don’t make it bleed.
- Place the small pieces of banana peels over the skin tag and cover it with a bandage.
- Let the banana peels do their work while you sleep and remove the band-aid the next morning.
- Be patient and repeat this process for 2-3 weeks until the skin tag falls off.
4. Garlic To Get Rid Of A Skin Tag
Garlic is a common herb that is widely used to spice up dishes. It has incredible medicinal properties making it an important ingredient for Ayurvedic treatments.
How Can Garlic Come To Your Rescue?
Fresh garlic is known to have antibacterial and anti-fungal properties and has been used to treat pimples, get water out of the ear and lots more. It contains sulfur, which can help in treating acne, eczema, dandruff, warts and also skin tags.
- Squeeze 2-3 cloves of garlic to get the thick paste.
- Wash your skin tags with water and dry the area.
- Gently scratch the skin tags with a toothpick.
- Apply the garlic paste to the problematic area before sleeping.
- After a few minutes, cover your skin tag with a band aid so that the paste can rest there.
- Remove the band-aid in the morning and rinse the affected area with water.
- Follow this process for 2-3 weeks and you’ll see that your skin tag will fall off.
5. How To Get Rid Of Skin Tags Using Oregano Oil
Oregano is an intensely aromatic herb that is widely used for spicing dishes. The essential oil of oregano is very beneficial for our health and is used in a number of home remedies to treat various conditions.
How Can Oregano Help In Shedding Acrochordon?
Oregano essential oil has antiviral, antispasmodic, and antibacterial properties due to its phenolic terpenoids components like thymol, p-cymene, and carvacrol. It is used in various home remedies to treat different conditions like diarrhea, common cold and lot more.
You’ll be surprised to know that it is also used to treat various skin problems like warts and skin tags. Oregano oil is one of the best home remedies for skin tags and you can shed it within 2-4 weeks. However, in some cases, it may take around 2 months to remove skin tags.
- Rinse your skin tag with lukewarm water and soap.
- Scratch the skin tags gently using a toothpick.
- After drying the affected area take 2-3 drops of oregano oil and mix it with 2-3 drops of coconut oil.
- Apply this mixture on the affected areas using cotton balls or Q-tips at least thrice a day.
- When you apply it before bedtime, cover it with a bandage.
- Your skin tags will change their color until they drop off your skin.
Warning: Don’t use oregano oil without diluting it. Never apply it near your eyes.
6. Duct Tape To Combat Skin Tags
You may laugh at us by reading the name duct tape in this list of ways to get rid of skin tags. But, you’ll be shocked to know that according to a study duct tape has high success rates in getting rid of warts. Since in some cases skin tags are an indicator of low-risk forms of HPV, duct tape can work wonders for you.
It is believed that the duct tape material irritates warts or skin tags and in many cases, it has stimulated the host’s immune system to get rid of skin tags on its own.
- Firstly wash the affected area with water and soap.
- Dry the affected area and then use a toothpick to gently scratch your skin tag.
- After scratching the area, cover your skin tags entirely with duct tape.
- Keep the duct tape until it loosens.
- Re-apply the tape and continue the process for 4-5 weeks.
- This method may take a long time, but eventually, your skin tag will shed.
7. Remove Skin Tag By Tying Them Off With Dental Floss
Removing the skin tags by tying them off with dental floss is a common remedy that your Grandma might have told you. It is also called ligation and works by killing the skin tag. When you tie dental floss around that annoying thing, it’ll temporarily block blood flow to the area.
After a day, you’ll be able to notice the color changes in your skin tag. After 2-3 weeks, it’ll dry up completely and your journey with that pesky skin tag will probably end. You may have a scar after it falls off. So, you may use this in areas that are covered by your clothes. The video will guide you through steps.
It is advised not to use this method on your face because it may leave scar.
8. Get The Skin Tag Cauterized
Electric cautery is a very effective method for removing skin tags and warts by burning them. In this process, your dermatologist will use the electrically heated instrument to burn the cells of skin tags. This will turn the skin tag black and it’ll fall off immediately. It may take more than one session to get rid of skin tags permanently.
Electric cautery is less expensive in comparison to other surgical methods such as cryosurgery.
9. Cryosurgery To Freeze The Skin Tags
Cryosurgery is a highly effective treatment for various skin problems including moles, warts, and skin tags. In this procedure, your skin tags will be frozen off with liquid nitrogen. Cryosurgery is a quick and painless treatment to remove a skin tag.
It may cause a mild stinging sensation in the affected area, which is normal. Your dermatologist can treat multiple skin tags by this technique. There is no need to apply dressings after the procedure and your skin tag will shed in nearly 7-10 days.
You may find a few OTC (Over-the-counter) products, which can be used to freeze your skin tags. But, it is recommended that you should consult a dermatologist to get it done safely.
10. Surgical Excision-Remove Skin Tag With Scissors Or Scalpel
Surgical excision is also used by some dermatologist as a method to get rid of a skin tag. In this method, doctors usually remove acrochordon by cutting them at the base with scissors or a scalpel after numbing the area surrounding skin tag with local anesthesia.
We hope that the above-mentioned ways will end your search for queries like – How to get rid of skin tags? Please, don’t follow all the methods at once. Simply, select any one of the methods and use it continuously to see the effective result. We advise you to read the instructions, notes, and warnings carefully before following any remedy.
If any of the above remedies has benefitted you or your friend, you can share with us in the comments sections. Don’t forget to share so that, other readers also benefit.