It was my birthday and I ended up eating all the things. Naturally, tiny red bumps pop their ugly head on my face. Then I feverishly flooded Google with that eternal query – homemade face masks for acne prone skin.
Well every woman, even men too, yearns for soft and radiant skin. To look beautiful, they splurge a lot of money in beauty salons to get that much hyped vibrant skin.
But have you ever thought of giving into the gentle caress of Mother Nature for getting that flawless skin without burning a BIG hole in your pocket?
If not, then you should give DIY face masks for acne a try.
- Because they’ve powerhouse ingredients that you can easily find in your kitchen.
- They’re simple to make and super inexpensive.
- They don’t have any side effects.
- You simply can’t afford to miss their numerous benefits.
- Last but not the least; you don’t want uneven skin, which looks more like potholes on a road.
Here Are 11 Homemade Face Masks For Acne To Get That Flawless Skin Back
1.Baking Soda & Apple Cider Vinegar Face Mask For Acne
- It is a disinfectant and an astringent.
- It’s anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory.
- It balances your body’s pH levels.
- It contains all the essential minerals, vitamins, enzymes, carbolic acid, aldehydes, ketones, amino acids, anti-oxidants, and dietary fiber your body needs to function properly and prevent or fight acne.
Properties of baking soda to combat acne that is acting stubborn:
- It’s amphoteric which means it has the ability to either act as a base or acid. Therefore, it corrects the pH imbalance of your skin that contributes to acne formation.
- It has mild anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties that help it to lessen the irritation caused by inflamed acne.
- It has individual particles that are hard and rounded and also form a fine powder, making it a mild exfoliate.
- 2 tablespoons of ACV
- 2-3 tablespoons of baking soda
- Mix apple cider vinegar and baking soda in a bowl.
- Using your fingers, apply the mixture on your face.
- Leave it for 10-20 minutes or until your skin feels dry and tight.
- Rinse with cold water à Pat dry à Apply moisturizer (Don’t forget this).
Use this acne face mask once a week only.
WARNING: if you’ve dry and sensitive skin, then don’t use baking soda as it can further dry up your skin.
2. Turmeric Face Masks For Acne-Prone Skin
Turmeric is a yellow – orange spice which is used in Indian Cuisine. It’s also widely used in Ayurveda for treating many health problems including acne.
How Turmeric Treats Acne?
- It has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties that help in killing acne bacteria and other things that cause acne.
- Its active compound called curcumin which has anti-inflammatory properties, helps to cure the pain, inflammation, and discomfort caused by acne.
- It anti-oxidant properties help to get rid of free radicals that in turn help in clearing acne and also prevent future breakouts.
- Its analgesic, anti-tumor, anti-allergic, anti-spasmodic, appetizing, diuretic, carminative, and digestive properties are helpful in deriving a lot of health benefits that includes treating, controlling and preventing acne.
Method 1: Turmeric & Olive Oil
- 8 tablespoons of turmeric powder
- 5 tablespoons olive oil or sesame oil
- Mix turmeric powder and olive oil in a clean bowl to make a smooth and creamy paste.
- Apply the paste onto your face with your fingers and gently massaging in circular motion for at least 10 minutes.
- Leave it to dry overnight.
- Wash with lukewarm water in the morning.
3. Turmeric & Yoghurt
- ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons of yoghurt
- I teaspoon of honey (optional)
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Apply this mask on your face.
- After ½ an hour, rinse with water.
You might be wondering, why I used yogurt in this mask? It’s because yoghurt is rich in lactic acid and acts as a gentle exfoliator.
Words of Advice: This homemade acne mask with turmeric will leave a yellowish tinge on your skin. To remove this, wipe your face using a cotton ball with a few drops of mild facial toner. But this mask will definitely reduce the acne size.
Also, turmeric will stain your clothes. So use your old t-shirt and bed sheet when following this treatment.
4. DIY Avocado Face Mask For Acne and Pesky Pimples
Avocado face masks are one of the most nutritious masks for your skin. Because this fruit is enriched with vitamins and unsaturated fats that can work wonders for people who have acne, sensitive or dry skin.
How Will This Mask Work?
- Being rich in vitamin E, avocados help in fighting bacteria responsible for inflammations and infections.
- They’re also rich in fibers which help in keeping hormonal flow in check and stabilizing the blood sugar level.
- Fatty acids like linoleic and oleic acid make avocados a healthy dietary option as it reduces the risk of acne.
- Avocado oil is a helpful moisturizer and provides deep cleansing to your skin. As compared to other kinds of oils, avocados don’t clog skin pores.
- Also, consuming avocados everyday help to control the secretion of the sebaceous gland, the main culprit behind those ugly bumps.
- 1 avocado
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- Rinse your face with water and pat dry.
- Take out the inside of the avocado, and then mash it up.
- Add honey and stir the ingredients well into a paste.
- Apply this paste on your face.
- After 15-20 minutes, wash off the mixture with lukewarm water.
- Apply moisturizer (optional).
5. Aloe Vera Face Mask For Acne Scars (This one is my favorite)
Will it work?
- Just like honey, aloe vera is also a natural anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory agent which is known to be very effective in treating acne scars.
- It contains hormones called polysaccharides and gibberellins which kill acne-causing bacteria.
- It’s a natural astringent that removes excess dirt, oil, and dead skin cells which clog skin pores.
- It also stimulates cell growth and purifies blood, healing scarred and damaged skin.
- It’s a natural anti-inflammatory and has soothing properties, therefore it reduces the redness, inflammation, and pain associated with acne.
- Due to the presence of influential antioxidants, zinc, and vitamins C and E in aloe vera, its gel reduces scars and pain.
- It also contains saponin and salicylic acid, compounds with anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties. That can be good for acne!
- Aloe Vera Gel
- Lemon juice
- Put aloe vera gel and lemon juice into the blender and blend for a minute.
- Now, apply the mixture to your face.
- After 15 minutes, rinse with warm water.
- Moisturize your face with a moisturizer.
Store the remaining mixture in a cool place and apply this mask up to 3 days per week to see the results.
6. Oatmeal Face Mask For Acne For Clear Skin
Oatmeal not only helps you to lose weight, but it can also help you to lose those stupid bumps on your face.
How Oatmeal Treats Acne Prone Skin?
- Oatmeal absorbs excess oil, thus preventing it from clogging pores and removes dry and dead skin cells to prevent acne.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties that reduce redness, swelling, and irritation caused by pimple breakouts.
- Raw oatmeal works as an effective exfoliator.
- It contains anti-microbial agents that kill the acne-causing bacteria.
- It contains magnesium, phosphorus, manganese, selenium, and zinc, which help in regulating oil production and restoring hormonal balance.
- It contains vitamins B1, B2, B3, B6, B9, and folate, which are necessary for skin cell regeneration.
- 2 tablespoons of oatmeal
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 1 teaspoon water
- Mix oatmeal, and water in a bowl.
- Now, add honey to make a thick paste.
- Apply it evenly on your face.
- Wait till the mask feels dry and tight.
- Wash away with cold water.
Words of the Wise: Lie down in bed after applying the mask or do it before shower because it’s quite messy, but worth the effort. The longer the mask sits on your face, the harder it’s to remove it. This is good actually, as you’ll be massaging your face in circular motion to loosen the mask and in this way gently exfoliate your skin.
7. Overnight Face Mask For Acne: Because Sometimes 15-20 Minutes Are Not Enough To Treat Acne
Rosewater and sandalwood face mask is a time tested Ayurvedic treatment used in home remedies for clear and radiant skin. It’s also effective in soothing pimples, acne, rashes, and blemishes .
- The antiseptic and antimicrobial properties of rose water help in the treatment of acne and fading of acne scars.
- It helps to maintain the optimum pH balance of your skin, tightens the pores and reduces fine lines and wrinkles.
- The antimicrobial substances present in sandalwood reduce the possibility of infection, sepsis or putrefaction.
- It’s a natural astringent and is used to protect the skin from acne, abrasions or superficial cuts and allergies.
- Its anti-inflammatory property help to reduce inflammation and swelling in the injured tissue.
- As a disinfectant, sandalwood destroys or inhibits the activity of micro organisms that causes skin problems.
- 2 tablespoons of sandalwood
- 1 teaspoon of rose water (add more if you feel the need of it)
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice (optional)
- Mix rose water, lemon juice and sandalwood until they’re fully incorporated.
- Apply this mixture on your acne.
- Leave this treatment to work overnight.
- Wash it off with cold water in the morning.
NOTE: You can add a bit of lemon juice in the mixture to give it a slightly bleaching effect, which will gradually diminish your acne scars.
8. Lemon & Honey Mask For Acne
Ancient beauties used milk and honey on their skin to keep their complexion looking young, glowing and smooth. You can also use honey as a toner or mask and mix it with other ingredients like yogurt, lemon etc depending on your needs.
How Honey Treats Acne?
- Honey acts as natural antibiotic and kills acne-causing bacteria.
- It has an osmotic effect which releases hydrogen peroxide, a great antiseptic which kills bacteria and tones down acne.
- Its anti-inflammatory properties reduce redness associated with acne and acidity prevents bacteria growth.
- It’s also rich in natural antioxidants which help in preventing damage caused by free radicals.
- Its sticky consistency pulls out dirt, removes excess oil and grime.
How Lemon Treats Acne?
- Lemons are full of vitamin C, a powerful anti-oxidant that fights free radicals which cause inflammation and breakouts.
- Its antimicrobial properties and anti-bacterial destroy acne -causing bacteria and boost the immune system, preventing future acne.
- Its citric acid act as chemical exfoliant to remove dead cells which clog pores resulting in infection and irritation.
- Its acidic property removes excess oil, the root cause of acne.
- Lemons are natural astringent that constrict excess oil and dirt from the pores, preventing them from entering and clogging the skin pores.
- It also has skin-lightening properties that lighten your skin tone and fade acne scars.
- Lemons also have mild bleaching properties which reduce redness and inflammation caused by acne.
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon of honey
- Whisk together egg white and lemon juice until the mixture becomes frothy.
- Add ½ teaspoon of honey to the mixture and stir well.
- Now, rinse your face with warm water to open up your clogged pores.
- Using clean hands or a cotton ball, apply this concoction onto your face, avoiding the areas around your eyes and mouth.
- Relax yourself, lie down, breathe deeply, and think happy thoughts.
- After 10-15 minutes, when the mixture has completely dried, gently scrub it off using warm water.
- In the end, pat dry with a towel and marvel at your rejuvenated and smooth skin.
9. Soothing Cucumber Face Mask For Acne
A cucumber face mask is the most basic and favored facial treatments of all times. Everyone loves its cooling, hydrating and soothing effect on the skin. Therefore, it’s a worldwide favorite of people who want to pamper their skin.
How Can Cucumber Cure Your Acne?
- Cucumber contains many essential vitamins; A, C and E, minerals; potassium, calcium, magnesium and phosphorus, and amino acids that preserve the skin.
- It contains silica which is a rich source of nutrients that replenishes when applied to the skin. It also holds the skin’s connective tissues tightly and therefore, acts as an anti-acne, anti-aging and anti-wrinkle product.
- Its astringent property helps to cure acne and lightens the appearance of acne by reducing redness, pain, as well as scars.
- It’s rich in vitamin E that exhibits anti-oxidant properties to fight the free radicals which cause acne and stubborn scars.
- It has the same pH as your skin and helps to heal it.
- It’s a natural cleanser, skin toner and moisturizer.
- ¼ -1 cup of oats (depends on the water content of cucumber)
- 1 sliced cucumber
- ¼ cup of plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- Blend yogurt and cucumber to form a paste.
- Add honey and oats until the mixture forms a thick paste.
- Now, give another quick spin in the blender.
- Keep the paste in the freezer for 5-10 minutes to chill.
- Spread on face and let it sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Eat any that accidently falls in your mouth.
- Rinse off with warm water.
Food for Thought: After putting the mask on, lay down and relax for a while andlet the mask do its thing. Because this mask isn’t “sticky” enough to stay on while you do the dishes.
10. Delicious Strawberry Face Mask For Acne
Do you know that strawberries can soothe and treat blemishes and acne breakouts?
Then, here’s how and why to use them for treating acne.
How Strawberries Treat Acne?
- Strawberries contain alpha-hydroxy acid, an important substance that helps in eliminating dead skin cells and cleansing the skin.
- It fruit also contains ellagic acid and salicylic acid, which are known for reducing dark spots and hyper-pigmentation. Salicylic acid is also know to remove dead cellsand tightening the skin pores to stop further acne breakouts.
- It’s also an excellent source of vitamin C, which cleanses the skin and keeps it healthy.
- 4 medium sized strawberries
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- Mash the strawberries with a fork until there are not many bumps in the mixture.
- Now, add one honey and mix well.
- Take a little bit at a time and gently apply the mixture on your face.
- Then, rub it in a circular motion over your entire face.
- After 10-15 minutes, take a warm cloth and gently wipe away the facial mask.
11. Manuka Honey Face Mask For Acne To Pamper Your Irritated Skin
Manuka honey is bit expensive and you’re apprehensive about using it on your face. Then, you need not worry at all.
If it didn’t work for you, then don’t be sad because it’s delicious and your morning toast is waiting. Yummy!!
How Manuka Honey Cures acne?
- The anti bacterial power of manuka honey reduces the severity of breakouts and speeds up their healing.
- Anti inflammatory properties reduce inflammation of breakouts, cysts and pimples.
- It’s very hydrating and soothing, therefore an excellent treatment to rebalance skin, especially if you suffer from dryness as well as acne.
Till date, there are no definitive studies to prove or disprove the effectiveness of manuka honey. But, still it has been used by many for various skin problems.
Be Patient: You need to give it at least a fortnight before making any judgment. In some cases, their skin clears up almost overnight after hitting the 1 to 2 week mark.
- These face masks for acne are not going to work overnight. It can take a while before you see your acne fade way.
- Ingredients like aloe are not a complete treatment for acne, because they don’t fix the root causes of acne.
- You have to fix your lifestyle and diet to really cure the root causes of breakouts.
- Always test a small bit of the mask on a small section of your skin before going full-face. Because it’s better safe than irritated and red-faced. Haha.
- Before trying any face mask, make sure to wash your face with warm water. also, wipe it with a cloth to ensure that your skin is free from any access oils or dirt.
- While applying the mask, work upwards from your chin to your cheeks. Then go to your forehead in a gentle circular motion.
- Avoid the sensitive areas around the mouth and eyes. Because the skin in those areas is drier and can become wrinkled, if stretched by this tightening mask.
- If you’ve dry skin, refrain from using any drying and tightening face masks for acne.
Did you enjoy this article?
I honestly hope that these face masks for acne will help you to get flawless skin. Because there’s never a good time to get those monstrous pimples.
Also, don’t be disappointed if a facial mask didn’t work for you. Just go old school and try that “hit and trial method” until you get the mask that can fade away your breakouts
If you find this article beneficial, then please take a moment to comment or share it. I’d really appreciate that. As it’ll encourage me to write more natural treatments that are inexpensive and effective.