Cancer can take away all of my physical abilities. It cannot touch my mind, it cannot touch my heart, and it cannot touch my soul. – Jim Valvano
CANCER- A Latin word for crab.
Now, let me explain this term to you.
Cancer literally means a new growth. It is called so because of its crab-like tenacity to grasp the tissue it invades.
Scary, isn’t it?
Well, yes cancer indeed is a scary term. We often misinterpret this term and prefer not talking about it. ( Because of the deadly nature of the condition.)
But, it should be kept in mind that it is very important to understand the condition in order to fight against it.
Cancer refers to a condition in which the cells exhibit an uncontrolled growth.
Worldwide, oral carcinoma is one the most prevalent cancers. It is one of the most 10 common causes of death.
In this article, we will discuss about Tonsil Cancer. What are the symptoms, diagnosis and the treatment of this condition?
What Are Tonsils?
It is quite common for people to ask “What are Tonsils?” and which is quite obvious because people can neither see nor relate to the functionality of tonsil in a human body.
Tonsils are the two lymph nodes (1) residing at the back of your throat. They work as defense players. They help keep your body away from the disease. Otherwise called “palatine tonsils,” they help the body perceive and guard itself against germs.
The tonsils are part of the oropharynx (2).
The oropharynx is a piece of the throat, which incorporates the tonsils, base of tongue, delicate sense of taste and back oropharynx divider.
There are three pairs of tonsils in the throat:
- Pharyngeal Tonsils, also known as Adenoid, which resides right behind your nose.
- Two Palatine Tonsils (generally what most people are found referring to when they hear the word ‘tonsils’), these are said to be located on both sides of the back of the throat.
- Lastly, Lingual Tonsils, which are located at the back of the tongue.
These specialized organs are part of the lymphatic system.
Yes, It is our first defense against infections!
Tonsils are the first protective barriers of our body, that protects us from the foreign particles that we ingest or inhale through the mouth or nose, respectively.
The moment, bacteria or viruses are trapped in the tonsils, they are transported to the lymphatic nodes where the fighter cells (immune cells) fight against them.
However, some individuals have enlarged tonsils(called tonsillitis) and they may see following listed issues:
- The ability to hear goes down
- Chronic infections related to ear
- Frequent tonsillitis or sinus related infections
- Frequent nose bleeding
- Abnormal speech delivery or difficulty in swallowing food
- Obstructive sleep apnea
Anyways coming back to the topic we decided to talk about!
What Is Tonsil Cancer?
Tonsil cancer is a form of oropharyngeal cancer (3) or oral cancer in general terms. There are two types of cancer that affect the tonsil to the most, namely:
- Squamous Cell Carcinoma (4)
Tobacco consumption is the main cause of tonsil tumor.
Human papilloma infection (HPV) is another real reason for one type of tonsillar malignancy, called squamous cell carcinoma.
In most cases, tonsil cancers are squamous cell carcinomas (SCC), which occur in the lining tissues of the mouth. SCC often occurs in the lymphoma cells (immune system cancer) of the tonsils too (in rare conditions).
What are the causes of Tonsil Cancer
We should understand one thing that the cancer is such a condition whose underlying cause is generally unknown. There are a number of factors that can lead to this condition. Similarly, your doctor may not be able to tell you with a surety that what is the exact cause.
It is a combination of environmental and genetic factors.
However, Smoked form of tobacco is the most common factor leading to most head and neck cancers. Drinking excessive amounts of alcohol also acts as a risk factor.
COMMON CAUSES OF TONSIL CANCER
- Tobacco: Smoking cigars, cigarettes or pipes and using chewing tobacco.
- Alcohol: Drinking excessive amounts of alcohol has got a strong connection with throat cancer.
- Viruses: Exposure to certain strains, particularly 16 and 18 of human papillomavirus (HPV) is associated with oropharynx cancer. This virus is quite common, and it has got a strong association with intimate sexual contact.
- Exposure to radiation in the past: Exposure to radiations for a longer period of time (as a part of an ongoing treatment) increases the chance.
- Genetic factors
- Certain foods: Deficiencies of some vitamins
- Poor oral hygiene
- Immunocompromised conditions such as AIDS. (5), (6)
Age: Tonsil cancer can occur at any age, whether you are at the age of sweet 16 or 50.
Gender: Men are more prone to tonsil cancer.
What are the Signs and Symptoms Of Tonsil Cancer:
The side effects of tonsillar malignancy, as other oropharynx growths, rely upon where the tumor is and how enormous it is.
You may see or feel a development in your mouth on one of the tonsils, or your specialist will see one tonsil greater than the other (when they were a similar size before).
It is normal for the main indication of a malignancy in the tonsils to be a knot in the neck. Regardless, oropharynx malignancy can give an entire host of various side effects.
You will likewise see that some fundamental manifestations of tonsil disease are very similar to those of strep throat. (Read it to know much about strep throat?).
Then, what is the difference between the two?
These two are completely different conditions. Strep throat is most commonly found within the age of 5 to 15, while tonsil malignancy most commonly affects individuals beyond 50 years old. (Though any age group can get affected.)
Signs of Tonsil Cancer:
- Your sore throat (7) does not heal irrespective of continuous medication and precautions.
- Swollen tonsils. ( where one is especially bigger than the other.)
- Throat pain that never goes away
- Blood-tinged saliva (8)
- Continuous earaches(Ear Infections)
- Difficulty while swallowing food.
- Pain while consuming citrus fruits, like oranges, lemon etc.
- You can feel a lump in the neck. (9)
- Continuous neck pain.
- Poor/ Bad breath all the time.
- Hoarse voice.
- A patchy, dry and irritated tissue.
And, Here is the most Important part.
1.The first step of this process is to obtain your medical history.
History taking is the first step. Below are the questions that you may expect your doctor to ask you for taking a detailed history.
- For how long has the problem been prevailing?
- Is your condition deteriorating, better or remaining the same?
- Have you taken any medication for the same?
- Do you experience any pain?
- Do you feel any lumps in your neck?
- Are you experiencing any issues with hearing?
- Do you have any lumps or bumps anywhere else in your body?
- Are you experiencing weight loss?
- Do you have any other medical problem?
- Have you undergone any surgery before?
- Are you allergic to any medicine?
- Have you ever been exposed to radiation before?
- Does the disease run in your family?
2. Physical Examination forms an important part.
After taking a complete history, the physician will thoroughly examine you focusing on the affected area.You must consult a specialist to get your condition evaluated.
The physician will perform the following steps:
- He will look for any abnormality inside your mouth.
- He will thoroughly examine your neck for any lump.
- Examine your ears.
- Examine the front of your nose.
- He may ask you to move your face, lift the shoulders.
- May ask you to follow his or her fingers around with your eyes.
- Perform some hearing tests.
3. Diagnostic Tests
Your physician will examine you further and will ask you to go for the following tests:
- Fine needle aspiration (9) (here, a little measure of tissue is scratched out of the tonsillar area utilizing a needle and the cells are then analyzed with the help of a microscope.)
- MRI’s (10)
- PET scan (11), (12)
- Blood Tests
Stages of Tonsil Cancer
Talking about the stages, Cancer is classified into 4 stages, which indicates the progress of cancer in a clear and a concise manner.
STAGES OF TONSIL CANCER:
|Stage 1:||Here, tumor(cancer) is little (under 2 cm), is bound to one territory, and has not yet involved the surrounding lymph nodes.|
|Stage 2:||In this stage, cancer grows a bit (about 2-4 cm) but it has not involved the surroundings yet.|
|Stage 3:||It’s an Alarm! Tumor becomes bigger(4 cm in size) and has involved one of the lymphatic nodes on a similar side of the neck as that of the tumor.|
|Stage 4:||It is the most advanced stage and has the most terrible prognosis.|
|At stage 4 tonsil cancer, one of the these might be present:||
Tonsil cancer treatment procedure is subjected to the severity or current stage of the disease.
When all said is done, three sorts of treatment are proposed:
- Surgical Removal: This process involves the removal of the cancerous tumor followed by Radiation therapy to eradicate the last sign of cancer.
- Radiation Therapy: Patients are suggested to undergo radiation after the surgery. This process is used to kill the remaining cancerous tissues. Doctors suggest a different intensity of radiation depending on types and stages of cancer.
- ‘Chemo’ or Chemotherapy (13): This process is recommended for people who are at stage 3 or 4 of cancer.
What’s in store after treatment is finished?
→ When you have endured treatment, you need to take an after down with your specialist. Current NCCN Guidelines for Head and Neck Cancers prescribe this subsequent arrangement in the wake of being dealt with for a throat cancer.
→ Visit your head and neck pro on a general calendar (or prior in the event that you have any concerning side effects). This enables your specialist to analyze you for any signs that the growth has returned.
→ For the primary year, you ought to go each one to three months.
→ For the second year, you ought to go each two to six months.
→ For the third to fifth year, you ought to go each four to eight months.
→ Following five years, you can begin going each year.
→ Your specialist ought to choose an output to be performed in the initial six months after treatment. The primary sweep fills in as a “benchmark” contemplate with the end goal of looking at future reviews.
→ This will rely on upon the sort and area of your malignancy. Your imaging could run from something as straightforward as a brisk trunk X-beam to more broad tests, for example, CT checks, MRI sweeps and PET outputs. In the event that something suspicious comes up, you may require another biopsy.
→ Consider trunk imaging to check for any indications of lung growth in the event that you have a broad smoking history.
→ Check your thyroid capacity each six to twelve months on the off chance that you were ever with radiation to the neck territory.
→ Get help with an advisor as required for troubles with talking, hearing, and gulping.
→ Quit smoking and quit drinking.
→ See a dental specialist.
Remember, many doctors will recommend a minimum of surgical treatment (14) followed by the radiation. They may also recommend you to go for Hyperthermia( this process undergoes like, they warm your body to a high temperature in order to kill the cancerous cell).
You may also find a number of holistic and scientifically unproven treatments, which are offered all around the world, but these treatments may cost you a lot of your hard earned greens.
Thus, Oral and dental care is important in all phases of the diagnosis and treatment.
Remember! “Prevention is better than cure.”
We would love to hear your stories (If any) or your suggestions and feedbacks, write to us in the comment section below.
[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_toggle title=”What are tonsils?” el_id=”1498554532120-802bac16-70db”]The tonsils are an accumulation of lymph tissue, or white platelets, at the back of your mouth that assemble there to help battle contamination.[/vc_toggle][vc_toggle title=”What raises the danger of tonsil disease?” el_id=”1498554600577-7325cfb2-cc69″]Customarily, the known hazard elements for tonsil disease are tobacco and liquor utilize, yet now there is by all accounts an expanded rate of tonsil malignancy in patients who don’t smoke or drink. There is some proof that it’s identified with the human papillomavirus (HPV).[/vc_toggle][vc_toggle title=”Will you have tonsil tumor and no tonsils?” el_id=”1498554631116-2bb304ef-9a3c”]Regardless of the possibility that you have had your tonsils evacuated (tonsillectomy), you can, in any case, get tonsil malignancy on the grounds that amid the method, some tonsil tissue is deserted.[/vc_toggle][vc_toggle title=”What are the side effects of tonsil malignancy?” el_id=”1498554667665-761b3512-2851″]The main manifestation is unbalanced tonsils, having one tonsil bigger than the other. Another manifestation is a constant sore throat.
At later stages, there are extended lymph hubs or sores in the neck and perhaps ear torment. When in doubt, at whatever time somebody is thought to have a tonsil disease and anti-infection agents don’t work, specialists ought to consider tonsil tumor.
Commonly tonsil malignancy that has metastasized or spread to lymph hubs is mixed up for a kind pimple called a branchial parted blister, which once in a while creates in youngsters. In grown-ups, it’s more typical that the growth is truly metastatic tonsil malignancy.[/vc_toggle][vc_toggle title=”How is tonsil malignancy analyzed?” el_id=”1498554709511-0341c49e-5ffb”]An otolaryngologist (ear, nose and throat specialist) looks at the region and decides whether a biopsy is required.[/vc_toggle][vc_toggle title=”What is the standard treatment for tonsil disease?” el_id=”1498554743995-145af2e8-b9a4″]Radiation, since tonsil disease reacts well to it and it has less of an effect on gulping and talking than surgery.
In cutting-edge cases, we utilize chemotherapy with the radiation treatment.