Did you ever browse the shelves of health section at a food store? If yes, then you might have seen dozens of product labeled as slimming tea/lose weight tea. And Oolong tea is one of those products.
But are these products beneficial? Even I don’t know.
However, I came through a newsworthy sales page about a product named Wu-Long tea claiming its a 400 year old Chinese “secret” drink which burns fat 43% faster.
FYI, Wu-long tea is the common name for Oolong Tea.
It made me curious, because even I want to burn a few pounds by just sipping a cup of tea. That will be great, isn’t it?
What is Oolong tea?
This slimming tea is made from the leaves, buds and stems of the Camellia sinensis plant. It’s slightly fermented and semi-oxidized, which gives it a taste in between black and green tea.
There are a numerous varieties of this tea, but the most famous comes from the Fuijan province of China.
Surprisingly, this is the same plant that is used to make green tea and black tea. The only difference is in the processing. As green tea is unfermented, black tea is fully fermented and Oolong tea is partially fermented.
Benefits of Oolong Tea Will Entice You to Try It At Least Once
- Boosts metabolism, causing weight loss: Oolong helps you burn fat faster by raising your metabolism for up to 2 hours after drinking it.It also contains polyphenols which block enzymes that build fat.
- Lowers bad cholesterol: Oolong is is semi-oxidized therefore it is known to reduce cholesterol levels and promote heart health.
- Increases mental alertness: This healing tea is known to revitalize mental alertness and performance as it contains caffeine.However, be careful if you’re sensitive to caffeine and limit its consumption to one lightly steeped cup a day.
- Aids in digestion: If you’re not sensitive to caffeine, then Oolong can help aid digestion. It alkalizes the digestive tract, which reduces inflammation in those with acid reflux and ulcer problems. It is mildly antiseptic, therefore it can clear bad bacteria from your belly.
- Promotes healthy hair: Due to the presence of high level of antioxidants, this tea can prevent unwanted hair loss, if you make a tea rinse out of its leaves. Not only that, your hair will be thicker,softer, and shinier.
- Gives you the much desired glowing skin: You can suppress allergic reactions with this magical tea because it combats free radicals. Also, the antioxidants found in it are essential for youthful skin can greatly slow down the aging process.
- Stabilizes blood sugar: Studies have shown that people suffering from diabetes can benefit from drinking oolong as it decreases blood glucose to a healthy level. As the polyphenols in oolong do wonders in metabolizing sugar.
- Forms strong bones and prevents osteoporosis: Those who consistently drink oolong are less likely to lose their bone mineral density as it helps in retaining minerals from healthy foods consumed.
- Prevents tooth decay: The growth of bacteria and the production of acid are inhibited by oolong tea, which means it is quite effective in preventing build-up plaque and tooth decay.
- Strengthens your immune system: Widely known for its anti-cancer properties, oolong assists in maintaining a healthy immune system.The antioxidant flavonoids in the tea prevent cellular damage.
How To Brew Perfect Formula For Weight Loss?
After having a look at the benefits of drinking Oolong Tea, let’s learn different ways to prepare a perfect mug of oolong.
Method 1 – Using Tea Powder
- 1 teaspoon of tea powder
- 1 mug of hot water
- Add 1 teaspoon of wu-long tea powder to a mug of hot water.
- Let it stir for 10-15 minutes.
- Allow it to cool slightly.
- Drink the tea slowly while enjoying every sip.
Method 2 – Using tea leaves
- 1 teaspoon of loose wo-long tea leaves
- Tea infuser
- 1 cup water
- Boil 1 cup of water at 200 degrees.
- Pour water in the cup.
- Fill tea infuser with a teaspoon of loose tea leaves.
- Place it in the cup and let it steep for 5-6 minutes.
- Enjoy the refreshing aromatics taste of tea.
Method 3 – Using tea bags
- 1 wo-long tea bag
- 1 mug of boiled water
- Dip a wo-long tea bag in a mug of boiled water for 2 minutes and keep the mug covered.
- Withdraw the tea bag and enjoy the potion by sipping slowly.
Which is The Best Oolong Tea Brand to Brew?
Here are some well-renowned brand names easily available in the market.
- Twinings China Oolong Tea
- All Natural Vintage Wuyi Oolong Tea
- Bigelow Chinese Oolong Tea
- Tie Kuan Yin Oolong Tea – Iron Goddess of Mercy
- Foojoy Wuyi Mt. Oolong Tea
- Ceylon Organic Oolong Tea
- Prince of Peace Premium Oolong Tea
When shopping for tea, it’s better to opt for loose tea leaves, instead of tea bags, because these tend to have prominent levels of antioxidants.
How many mugs of tea should I consume a day?
Two cups of Oolong tea every day are recommended to lose weight. The best time to drink oolong tea is one cup in the morning and other in the afternoon.
You’ve to be patient with Oolong as it is not a magic wand, which will give you instant results.
Also, how much weight you shed depends on many other things, like switching over to a healthy diet and how regular you are in consuming oolong tea.
Last but not the least, don’t forget to share your experience of wo-long tea with us. Because we eagerly wait for them. 🙂