Are you suffering from bad throat and facing problem in gulping even saliva? And you are not sure that how to manage a sore throat, then this article will help you. This article will cover:
- What to eat at the time of a sore throat.
- What to avoid during a sore throat.
- How to cure a sore throat.
- How to prevent a sore throat in children and adult.
- How to manage a sore throat.
A sore throat is a common problem in the recent days. It can occur due to a viral cough and cold. However, there may be some other reasons as well. So, it’s better to consult some physician rather than selecting your own medicated prescription. It is really very tough to cope up with a sore throat. It is not at all an easy task. These are often caused due to bacterial infections.
However, here, in this article, I will be providing you with some advice or suggestions that will be effective for you, and you can easily try them out in your home.
What To Eat At The Time Of Sore Throat
You may find difficulty in swallowing foods during a sore throat infection. If you are having an achy throat, you can try gulping some licorice in order to soothe your pain.
Cooked cabbage, cooked carrots, honey, as well as drinking hot tea can really prove to be effective.
Having beverages and warm foods or drinks can decrease your aches. Other foods that you may try out if you have a sore throat are warm oatmeal, warm and cooked pasta, cheese or macaroni. Cooked cereals and grits can also be ingested.
Natural Ingredients For A Sore Throat:
Bananas, lemon juice, scrambled eggs, honey mixture, chicken soup and egg white are a few effective ingredients. Vitamin C is the major ingredient that is required for your body at this time. Hence, you can start taking acidic juices from different raw fruit such as orange, lime etc. which helps controlling irritation extensively.
What To Avoid During Sore Throat
During sore throat infection, you should avoid foods that have a rough texture. Such food items include granola, uncooked vegetables as well as dry toast that may damage your sore throat.
So, instead of consuming coarse foods, you must ingest foods that are easily swallowed. Cheese or cream based soups, ice cream, yogurt, mashed potatoes, smoothies, cereals, and casseroles.
How To Cure Sore Throat
Gargling with salted water gives instant relief from pain. To prepare salted water take one glass of lukewarm water and mix one teaspoon of table salt and stir till salt dissolves.
The inflamed and swollen tissue is pulled out by the salt from the mucus. This minimizes the discomfort that you have been going through. Gargling at frequent interval throughout the day gives you significant relief from the pain and infection. And in few day you might feel alright.
Along with gargling, there are few other ways to get quick relief. Some of them are listed below.
- Slippery elm
- Baking soda
- Chamomile tea
- Marshmallow root
Fenugreek seeds are quite effective in managing and curing sore throats. Being a tropical plant, this is one of the natural remedies. The antibacterial, as well as antifungal properties of the plant, helps in treating the worse condition of the throat. You can make a habit of drinking fenugreek tea every morning.
Slippery elm has been a traditional medicine for many years. Honey also works like a wonder and it is quite effective in taming coughs at the night.
Chamomile tea is another antioxidant component. It has astringent properties as well. It is one of the oldest forms of medication that has been existing in the country. This plant has its contribution from the world of herbs. It can also be considered as an anti-inflammatory agent. Recent research is evident of the fact that inhalation of chamomile steam can also help to cure a sore throat.
You can even drink it in the form of tea if you wish. Not only it helps you in fighting against your sore throat, but it also helps in stimulating your immune system.
How To Prevent A Sore Throat
Peppermint oil present in the sprays can help you cure sore throats.
- The major constituent of peppermint is methanol which helps eradicate mucus which causes a sore throat.
- It comprises of antiviral, antibacterial and inflammatory properties which can be used to encourage healing.
Stay Away From Infected People
You must protect yourself by from infected people who are already suffering from sore throats. This is contagious and spreads very easily from one person to the other.
Managing Sore Throat
Some of the tips that you can follow in order to make your sore throat better:
- You can make use of warm water to gargle which helps in reducing the swelling and gives you relief.
- Prevent dehydration by making use of a humidifier or a vaporizer in your bedroom so that you can feel comfortable.
- You must also keep in mind regarding your smoking habits. Never smoke or use any kind of tobacco products.
- Avoid using other kinds of irritants which may increase swelling.
- Treat sore throats with licorice roots as it is one of the age-old ingredients and recent research has also proved its effectivity.
- Avoid speaking as much as possible.
- Wash your hands more frequently, if you have kept in contact with any person who is suffering from strep throat.
- Stay away from all kinds of chemical fumes.
- Some other over the counter treatments include the usage of eucalyptus and other varieties of natural lozenges that are quite effective for sore throats.
- Cough syrups also work well in severe cases. You must take adequate rest to your body.