One fine morning, you stand in front of the mirror to find your face spotted in red. How often do you keep on checking the spots – whether they have spread or not?
There comes a time when you take on the fight against acne. You spend bundles of crispy notes on commercial treatment. People from all over the world have a genetic misconception that commercial treatment, although costly, can take you out of the woods.
When millions of people think of a single skin eruption that they fear the most, it invariably turns out to be acne. Acne is one of the globally hated skin eruptions. It results in variously termed skin conditions like pimples, rashes, blackheads and so on.
So, when it comes to acne, there are archives full of complaints and prescriptions full of commercial remedies. Just rewind your remembrance and think of the estimated amount of bucks that you have drained down in a bid to get rid of acne.
Yes, you have literally drained the amount, and not spent it. The reason is crystalline. Commercial solutions are smart and quick keeping their respective promises that they will wash the traces of the last pimple from your face.
But, for how long? Better try missing out the dozes for a couple of weeks and feel the sting!
So, you end up in a loss.
One of the most effective methods to get rid of acne is to count on lemons. Yes, it may sound strange to you, if you are unaware of the versatility of lemon as a skin doctor.
Lemon is powered by loads of properties that can bring a permanent solution to the acne-menace, and that too, in a cost-effective manner.
Lemon can be drunk as a juice without sugar or directly applied to the skin to bid a goodbye to the so-called perpetual skin concern.
Why to Use Lemon Juice for Acne?
Lemon juice, as you know, is a natural product, powered by citric acid and loads of Vitamins. It has exceptional bleaching properties, which removes the last traces of acne and its scars.
Lemon juice inherits the medically enriched substances, including, limonene, Vitamin C, alpha-hydroxyl acids (AHA), quercetin, hesperidin and naringenin, among other substances. These are very active when they are applied on the skin, providing the right kind of nourishment needed by the skin.
Italian researchers reveal that lemon contains and essential oil, which allows Vitamin A, vitamin B6, Vitamin C and Vitamin E to penetrate deep into the skin to provide better healing capacities.
Citrus extracts contain a flavonoid called hesperetin, which safeguards the skin from damage due to solar radiation. It also prevents the melanin pigments o accumulate on the skin.
Substances like ascorbic acid, and phytoncides present in citric acid prevents bacterial infection.
Is Lemon Juice Really Good for Acne?
Lemon juice is one of the best remedies for acne. It contains certain substances that cannot be substituted by anything else. Here are the reasons why there is no close substitute for lemon juice as a necessity for your skin.
- The anti-bacterial and anti-microbial properties of lemon are effective in resisting bacteria, and prevents infection in the long run.
- The citric acid present in lemon acts as an exfoliate for the skin. This removes the dead cells, which clog the pores of the skin, resulting in infection.
- The acidic nature of nature removes the excess oil from the skin, which is one of the root of acne.
- The natural astringent properties present in lemon are effective in removing excess oi from the pores. This prevents bacteria and other dirt to clog the pores of your skin.
- When you have acne, the skin becomes reddened and discolored. The bleaching properties of acne helps to reduce the inflammation and redness caused by acne. It lightens up the tone of the skin and removes acne-marks.
- There are several free radicals that that cause inflammation in the skin. Vitamin C, present in lemon, acts as a powerful anti-oxidant and prevents such infection.
- Apart from these, the pH levels of your skin is maintained by lemon juice.
What Do People Suffering from Acne Say About Lemon Juice?
The online portals are overflowing with positive reviews about the amazing properties of lemon juice to cure acne. Here is the experience of 30-year-old woman:
“I tried every treatment I could think of. I used Oxy, ProActiv, Neutrogena, facial waters, and even green tea and honey. Nothing got rid of my pimples, and I started getting these nasty little knots just below the surface of my skin.
Then I decided to try lemon juice. Twice a day I wash my face with Dr. Bronner’s skin cleanser. Then I squeeze two lemons into a clean bowl. I dip a cotton ball into the lemon juice and blot fresh lemon juice all over my face. I wait 15 to 30 minutes, and then rinse my face with warm water.
Lemon juice started to work right away, and the results are amazing! All those knots in my skin started to come to the surface, and most of them would come loose with just a gentle nudge. (The writer is referring to exceptionally large whiteheads.) I knew lemon juice was drawing out the zits, but I had no idea what was underneath the surface.
My face looked totally different after about a week. I’ve been using lemon juice with great results for six months now—and it only costs me about $5 a week.”
This is not the summary of response belonging to a handful of people, but the majority of the people who used lemon juice for acne have shared similar experiences.
How To Use Lemon Juice for Acne? 17 Ways to Apply Lemon Juice on Face
Lemon Juice, Milk and Honey for Acne
This is the simplest and one of the oldest recipes that people use to get rid of acne. The lemon juice lemon cleans skin, while the other two ingredients make the skin soft.
Altogether, this is really a powerful combination. However, you need to apply this for four to five times in order to yield the desired looks. Alternatively, you can also wash your face daily using the mixture.
- At the outset, use a face wash of your choice to cleanse the face.
- Then blend lemon, honey and milk in the ratio 1:2:3. Until the mixture is dense and consistent, keep on stirring.
- Apply the mixture on the cleansed skin and make sure that you do not apply the mask in or around the eyes.
- Allow the skin to absorb the nutrients and wash off the mixture after half an hour.
Lemon Juice With Cinnamon for Acne
As you know, acne is caused by harmful bacteria. Cinnamon contains anti-oxidants, which can kill these bacteria. So, this is one of the most formidable combinations to fight acne.
However, this process may cause burning sensation on the skin while killing the bacteria. You need to apply the paste daily.
- Mix one tablespoon of ground cinnamon with two tables of lemon juice.
- Apply the paste that you get to the affected area with a cotton ball.
- You can leave it as it is overnight, or wash it off after 20 minutes.
- After that, use lukewarm water to rinse off the paste and dry your face with a clean towel.
Lemon Juice and Rose Water
Rose water is naturally powered with anti-bacterial properties. The acidic properties of lemon are helpful in lightening up the skin. The best results are obtained when the treatment is done twice daily.
- Use mild face wash and warm water to wash your face.
- Take rose water and lemon juice in equal proportions and mix them well.
- Apply it to the affected area with a cotton ball and leave it for 30 minutes.
- Rinse off the solution with cold water and dry the face with a towel.
You can make this mixture even more powerful and effective by adding cucumber juice, apple cider vinegar, aloe vera, olive oil, lavender oil, tea tree oil or green tea to lemon juice to cure acne.
Lemon Juice with Sandalwood
- Take 1 to 3 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice. Add it to one-fourth tea spoons of sandalwood and cinnamon each.
- Wash the face before applying it to the it.
- Leave the mixture to dry.
- Now rinse it with cool water and dry it with a towel.
- You need to apply an oil free moisturizer and repeat the process on daily basis.
Lemon Juice with Pomegranate Peel
- Make a powder using pomegranate peel. First roast and then grind the peels to get the powder.
- Make a paste by adding sufficient amount of lemon juice to it.
- Apply it on the acne spots and allow it to dry up.
- After sometime, use water to rinse it off and apply an oil -free moisturizer.
Apply the mixture on nightly basis to get the desired results.
Lemon and Sea Salt
- Use a non-exfoliate cleanser to wash the face.
- Make a paste using one teaspoon of lemon juice and half teaspoon of sea salt.
- Depending on the sensitivity of your skin, scrub the affected areas for 30-45 minutes.
- Leave it for 5-10 minutes and use a warm wash cloth to remove the paste.
- You can apply a moisturizer and a gentle toner to remove the stinging sensation.
Repeat this process once or twice weekly.
Lemon and Sugar Scrub for Acne
Sugar is a great exfoliate which removes dead skins and unclogs the pores of the cells, thus removing acne.
- Mix a table spoon of brown sugar to lemon juice.
- Clean your face with a mild face wash and warm water.
- Gently, massage the affected area with the mixture using a cotton ball.
- After you finish, use warm water to rinse it off and dry your face with a towel.
For best results, repeat daily.
Lemon Juice and Honey
The combination of lemon juice and honey is one of the most common yet effective means of getting rid of acne. Both the ingredients being natural products, you will really get quick results.
When you finish the treatment, your pores will be narrowed and the pimples will be gone after a few repetitions of the process.
- Cut a lemon into two halves and apply honey on one of the halves.
- Rub it on your face, focusing on the particular spots where there is more acne concentration.
- Leave the mixture on the skin for 5 minutes.
- While washing your face, remember to use cold water. This will help to narrow up the pores of your skin.
Lemon And Egg White Face Mask to Heal Acne
This is the perfect treatment for people who have large pores in their oily skin. One will not only get a smooth skin, but also a soft, velvet feeling as a bonus.
- Take a half-cut lemon and squeeze out the juice from it.
- Take an egg white and mix it up with the juice and divide it into three parts.
- Apply each of the parts that you have just made on the skin layer after layer. Remember, you should allow a layer to soak into your skin, so give a minimum gap of 5-7 minutes between the application of each layer.
- Leave the layers for 6 minutes as it is after you apply the final layer.
- Now wash off the mixture from your face with warm water.
Lemon Juice, Sour Cream and Honey
This is the most effective treatment for people with dry skin. Honey or sour cream, along with lemon will serve the purpose. You are free to choose between the two.
This treatment has double-edged benefit, as it will make your skin free from acne and increase the gloss simultaneously.
- Mix the two substances in equal proportions.
- Apply it on your skin.
- Put a tablespoon of oatmeal flakes in the mixture in case you use honey.
- Let the skin absorb it for 25 minutes.
- Wash it off with water.
Lemon Juice, Yeast with Milk
This type of mask is applicable for all types of skin.
- Take warm milk in a bowl and add a tablespoon of yeast.
- Let it be for five to six seconds.
- Using massaging movements, apply the mask on your face.
- Leave it for 15 minutes and clean it up.
Lemon Juice And Cucumber
Lemon juice and cucumber is a good remedy for pimples. You need to apply this on daily basis for two weeks. This will not only fight against pimples, but also remove acne scars and deliver a beautiful skin to you.
- Make a mash with cucumber by grinding it thoroughly.
- Add a tablespoon of lemon juice to it.
- Apply it on your face and wash it off after sometime.
It is recommended that you put lemon juice on your face and leave it overnight to dry up. However, if you feel uncomfortable, you may apply it to your skin just after washing the face in the morning.
Lemon Juice and Yogurt
The best benefit that you will get from this treatment is the relief from inflammation, due to the presence of yogurt. This process must be repeated regularly to achieve the desired results.
- Use warm water and mild face wash to wash your face.
- Mix lemon and yogurt in the ratio 2:1.
- Use a cotton ball to apply the mixture to the affected parts.
- Leave the mixture on your skin for around 15 minutes.
- Rinse if off with cold water. Dry the skin using a towel.
Baking Soda and Lemon Juice for Acne
Baking soda is effective in restoring the pH balance of the skin. It also exfoliates to remove toxins from the pores. Besides, it lightens the scars and removes the bacteria.
- Blend a tablespoon of baking soda with a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice.
- Apply the mixture on the affected area and gently massage.
- Use lukewarm water to rinse the area and dry it with a towel.
Repeat the process at least twice a week, if possible thrice to gain the desired results.
You can make an alternate mixture by mixing two tablespoons of lemon juice and baking soda with three tablespoons of water.
Lemon Juice with Aspirin
Aspirin is powered with anti-inflammatory properties. It contains salicylic acid, which kills acne-causing bacteria. You have to use this mixture on regular basis.
- Drop six non coated aspirin pills into fresh lemon juice.
- Create a paste by stirring it.
- Apply it on your cleansed face.
- Leave it as it is for 15minutes.
- You need to rinse the face with a solution of baking soda and water.
- Again, use lukewarm water to rinse it and dry the face with a towel.
Lemon Juice with Chickpeas
- Take some freshly squeezed lemon juice and add a tablespoon of chickpea powder to it.
- Make a paste by stirring them well.
- Apply the mixture on the affected area and keep it for 15 minutes.
- Use warm water to rinse it off.
- Dry your face with a towel.
- Make sure to apply moisturizer.
Repeat the process every day to get rid of acne.
Lemon, Tomato and Oatmeal
Both tomato and oatmeal are crucial for your skin, as tomato slashes down the oil production of the skin, while oatmeal reduces scars and redness of the skin. You have to repeat the process daily.
- Take some fresh tomato juice and mix two tablespoons of oats and water.
- Let it soak for some time.
- Now, mix the oats with a teaspoon of fresh lemon juice.
- Use mild soap and warm water to wash the face.
- Apply it to your face and keep it for 25 minutes.
- After rinsing your face with warm water, dry it with a towel.
Some Other Useful Tips
Health And Diet
Acne is caused by various toxins in the body. In order to eliminate the root causes of acne, you need to remove these toxins. So, take care that you do not take much stress or have improper diet, both of which results in the production of toxins in your body.
Keeping in mind that recovery begins from inside the body, take good care of your health with proper diet.
Proper health and hygiene is instrumental in getting rid of acne. Consult a gastroenterologist if you have continual problem related to skin eruptions. Take care not to touch the face with dirty hands and change the cleanser, if necessary.
Drink Lemon Juice
The best time to drink lemon juice with water is during the morning, after waking up. You need to squeeze enough lemon juice into a glass of water.
You may be habituated to use sugar, but honey will be a better option as a sweetener, have this regularly to get the desired effect.
- Every time you undergo a lemon juice -treatment, apply a moisturizer.
- If you leave the lemon juice on the skin for a long time, it will cause extreme dryness.
- Daily consumption of lemon juice will damage the enamel in your teeth.
- If you happen to have a dry skin, use lemon juice with water to dilute the concentration.
- If lemon juice gets into your eyes, it will cause a burning sensation, so flush your eyes with plenty of water.
- You should use lemon essential oil tonics, blemish lotions and steam treatments in order to stay away from acne.
- For the first time users, it is better to dilute the lemon juice with water, it may not be suitable for the skin if directly applied.
Who should not use lemon juice for acne?
There might be another ongoing treatment, and this treatment may not be compatible with the other one, resulting in reactions and further increasing your skin concerns. If you use lemon for skin care and fail to achieve the desired results, it is recommended to consult a dermatologist.
Next, if you are having naturally dark skin, you should keep away from using lemon juice on your skin. Perhaps, you have heard of a substance called melanin, which causes skin to become darker.
Cells called melanocytes produce melanin. Lemon juice makes your skin to produce melanin in larger amounts, which causes the skin to become darker. Additionally, the spots where acne once existed will become even darker.
Adding to your woes, when your skin is exposed to the sun, these spots will become more prominent. If you happen to have dark skin, you better keep away from lemon juice, unless your doctor prescribes you the treatment.
Well, when you look out for a smooth and flawless skin, count on lemon juice, the universal skincare solution. You would always love to have the sparkle of glamour on your skin.
So, when you are suffering from perpetual skin disorder, always have a try with the natural, effective lemon juice treatment.
You will realize the difference as and when you get in touch with the treatment. After all, your skin speaks for your beauty. Most importantly, there is a striking variety in the treatment, so you are free to pick any of the discussed methods to glorify your skin.
So now, before you move on to the commercial treatment time, hope you would think of experimenting with the popular lemon juice treatment for acne.