Does your hair look more like a bush?
Do you avoid pools and rain as if they’re acid?
Do you consider every day a bad hair day?
Same here, I also used to fight a long lost battle with dry and frizzy hair, until I get to know about natural remedies for frizzy hair.
If you’re also one of those people who believe in using home remedies ingredients for a more beautiful you. Then, you should try these remedies to revive and rejuvenate your lifeless locks.
Because you also know that life with frizzy curly hair is damn difficult.
What is Frizzy Hair?
Frizz in your hair occurs when the cuticle layer of hair is raised, allowing moisture to pass through and swell the strands.
This results in your dry and frizzy mane instead of smooth and defined.
Mostly, curly hair tends to have more frizzes as compared to straight hair because of dehydration in the strands, which leaves it more vulnerable to frizz.
Why is Your Hair So Frizzy?
- You aren’t eating a balanced diet and drinking enough water.
- You’re spending too much time on internet and not getting enough sleep (pun very much intended).
- You sleep with loose hair. You should tie your hair at the top of your head while going to sleep.
- The oil naturally secreted by your scalp is not making it down the strands of your hair, which is common with kinky hair types.
- You aren’t deep conditioning often enough with the right type of products for your porosity level.
- Medications you take are causing changes in your body that affect your hair.
- You’ve over-processed chemicals in your hair, like high-lift dye or bleach, that have damaged the hair cuticles.
Here Are 6 Natural Remedies For Frizzy Hair To Make Them Behave.
Olive oil – A Blessing for Curly and Frizzy Hair
I swear by olive oil as it provides extra moisture to my frizzy hair.
Therefore, it is on the top in my list of frizzy hair remedies.
It helps in sealing the moisture on your hair strands and also conditions your hair.
This oil in combination with tea tree oil is also used as a hair fall remedy and for hair growth.
If you want to make your hair grow faster, then follow these steps and see the results.
University of Maryland Medical Center has also recommended the use of olive oil for various hair disorders.
- 1 cup of olive oil
- Heat up olive oil for 2 minutes.
- Evenly distributing the warm oil, apply it on your scalp.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap.
- After that, wrap a towel soaked in hot water around your head to increase moisture absorption.
- Leave it on for half an hour.
- Then, shampoo and rinse your hair with cold water.
Do this thrice a week for best results.
You can also use almond oil, coconut oil, rosemary oil or castor oil and follow the same process.
Apple Cider Vinegar – The All Rounder
There are many health benefits of drinking apple cider vinegar and you can read them here.
It is also very effective in combating and preventing frizzy hair.
As the acid in apple cider vinegar smoothes out the frizz and give a new lease of life to your otherwise dull hair.
That is why, it’s one of the best home remedies for frizzy hair.
A study has also confirmed using ACV as a hair rinse can work wonders for your frizz-prone hair.
- Apple cider vinegar
- Mix equal amounts apple cider vinegar and water according to the length of your mane.
- After washing your hair with a mild shampoo, use the diluted mixture as a final rinse.
Diluting it with water will reduce its acidic property and will not harm your hair.
Alternatively, you can simply apply ACV diluted with water onto your scalp with a cotton ball.
Then, gently comb your hair to evenly distribute the solution. Leave it for 10 to 15 minutes and then rinse your hair well with water.
For best results, use it every once in a fortnight.
These simple remedies will make the hair frizz less and also add shine to your tresses.
Lemon and Honey – A Delicious Mix for Your Hair
But the judicious mix of lemon and honey can be the answer to; how to make frizzy hair smooth?
Lemon contains vital minerals and vitamins that promote healthy hair, while honey is considered as an ultimate moisturizer and conditioner by a report.
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 1 cup of water
- Mix lemon juice and honey and dilute it with water.
- Apply this mixture on shampooed hair. But make sure to coat the ends well, avoiding the scalp.
- Leave it on for 10-15 minutes and then wash with a mild shampoo.
Do this once or twice a week and forget your frizzy worries.
Avocados – Your Hair’s Next Best Friend
United States Environmental Protection Agency has explained the benefits of Avocado, Witch Hazel, Shea Butter and other natural ingredients for hair in one of its articles.
Avocado hair mask is the best treatment for frizzy hair.
Because the high amount of vitamin E and good kind of fatty acids present in avocados help in taming the unruly hair.
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Mash the avocado, add olive oil to it and mix it well.
- Apply this mixture throughout your shampooed hair.
- Let it sit for an hour, and then rinse it off with cold water.
- You can also condition your hair to get rid of the avocado scent.
Use this mask twice every week to treat dry and brittle hair and condition your mane.
Shea Butter, Olive Oil, and Sunflower Oil- The Hair Trinity to Combat Unruly Hair
Raw unrefined Shea butter is rich in Vitamin E and A.
Therefore, it acts as a hair protectant by coating the hair shaft and protecting it from damage caused by chemical hair treatments and other heating tools.
It also protects your hair from the salt and chlorine contained in swimming pools.
To know how to treat dry and frizzy hair, watch this video.
Coconut Oil to End Your Frizzy Issues
Vitamins K and E found in coconut oil nourish hair, boost its health and makes it a natural frizz control ingredient.
Massaging it on the scalp makes it easier for hair follicles to absorb the nutrients and stimulate blood circulation to the area.
Massaging will also moisturize and prevent build-up of dry skin, which is another cause of dandruff.
You can read my previous article to get rid of dandruff in a natural way.
- Coconut oil
- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo.
- Now, simply massage coconut oil into damp hair.
- Then, wrap your hair with an old but clean t-shirt.
- After 2 hours, rinse it out and shampoo your tresses, if required.
Treat your hair with this ‘healing session’ every week.
I hope that these simple home remedies can help you to get rid of dry and frizzy and restore the lost shine and smoothness to your tresses.
Also, do share your experiences of trying these remedies with us in the comments.
Last but not the least, embrace your curls, because they’re cute and women with straight hair spend thousands of dollars to get them.
So, feel blessed. J