Do you remember the movie – The Big Lebowski released in 1998? If yes, then you must remember the signature drink of “The Dude” played by Jeff Bridges. If not, then let me remind you it was – The White Russian.
‘The Dude quaffed eight glasses of them during the course of the movie. Unfortunately, the ninth glass was dropped on the floor by him.
I felt bad when the glass fell because I wanted to taste that drink (Poor me!).
Now, let me tell you – How I learned to make a White Russian? Don’t worry, it’s not too long.
You may like to read – Alcohol Health Benefits
My First Encounter with White Russian & the Pretty Girls from Russia
I had my first glass of White Russian cocktail about 2-3 years ago. I think it was a New Year’s party.
Well, it doesn’t matter when I had it, what matter is I enjoyed the coffee flavor of it.
A group of five girls from Russia were partying in a bar near the beach where we were also drinking and discussing type of drinks.
One of my friend told me the recipe and also mentioned that the cocktail “White Russian” wasn’t originated in Russia. Actually, the use of the word Russian was due to its primary ingredient Vodka, which is said to be originated in Russia.
You may be interested in reading – Alcohol Duration In Your Body
White Russian Ingredients
- 60 mL/2 oz. Vodka
- 30 mL/1 oz. Coffee Liqueur (Probably you’ll get Kahlua)
- 30 mL/1 oz. Heavy Cream
- 1 cup of ice cubes
- Rocks Glass (Old Fashioned Glass)
- Maraschino Cherry (Optional)
Directions To Make A White Russian
- First of all make sure you have all the ingredients required to make a White Russian Drink.
- Take an old fashioned glass and fill it with a cup of ice cubes.
- Add 2 ounces of vodka to the glass. If you want to give it your own twist you can use your favorite flavored vodka.
- Then you need to add 1 ounce of coffee liqueur to it. Probably, you’ll get Kahlua or Tia Maria. If you got any other, it won’t matter much.
- Stir the mixture or shake it and you’ll get a Black Russian drink.
- To make the White Russian drink you only need to add 1 ounce of cream to the Black Russian Drink. I have seen many bartenders using half milk and half cream or just milk instead of whole cream. Choose whatever you like.
- You can either float the cream on the top of your cocktail or shake the complete mixture. I have tried both ways and it really doesn’t matter much.
- If you want to garnish the drink, do it using a Maraschino Cherry.
- That’s it! You can enjoy the drink with your friends.
You have learned to make a White Russian, but let me tell you that it isn’t a low calorie alcoholic drink. You may gain weight if you drink it regularly. You can enjoy it occasionally after dinner or whenever you like.
You may like to read – How To Make Pina Colada?
If you have your own recipe for a white Russian, which is exciting let other readers know about it in the comments. Don’t forget to share this article with your alcoholic buddies.