Do you have immediate bowel movements after having a meal? Do you have loose or watery stools? Well, these symptoms refer that you’re possibly suffering from diarrhea. Do you want to know some tried and trusted home remedies to get rid of diarrhea fast? Obviously YES!
It can be tougher for you when you’re not at home during this condition. If you’re at work, you’ll not be able to concentrate on performing your official tasks or do any kind of work.
All you’ll be able to think is the urgent need to go to the wash room and the situation can be even worse if toilet isn’t vacant. A person feels like living in a hell and prays to God to get well as soon as possible.
We understand your annoying situation and have compiled a list of home remedies to cure your diarrhea. But, before we you follow any of these remedies, you should check the symptoms and causes of diarrhea.
Symptoms Of Diarrhea
- Immediate bowel movements after eating food
- Loose or watery stools
- Bloating in your belly
- Abdominal cramps
- Abdominal swelling
- Nausea and vomiting
Some Serious Diarrhea symptoms:
- Bloody or Black stool
- Mucus or undigested food in the stool
- Fever accompanied by diarrhea
- Weight loss
If watery stools continue for more than two days, it can be dangerous because you can get dehydrated. In this situation you should seek for proper medical attention.
What Causes Diarrhea?
Diarrhea is usually caused due to the infection in your gut (gastrointestinal tract) and there can be a number of reasons for it.
Here are some common causes of Diarrhea:
- Food Poisoning
- Contaminated Water
- Bacterial or viral infection
- Allergies to certain foods
- Excessive intake of alcohol
- Laxative abuse
- Intestinal diseases like Ulcerative colitis or Crohn’s disease
- Side- effect of any medication
- Runner’s Diarrhea or Runner’s Trots
- Radiation therapy
- Lactose Intolerance
- Malabsorption – If you have trouble absorbing some nutrients
Here Are 12 Tried And Trusted Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Diarrhea Fast And Naturally
1. Ginger & Honey Can Work As A Magical Potion
We all know that ginger and honey are used to cure sore throat and voice problems, but you may not know that they can also be used to treat some stomach problems like diarrhea.
It also helps in alleviating abdominal pain and cramps. Anti-inflammatory properties of Ginger can help in calming irritated bowels and also aides the digestion.
- A small piece of Ginger
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
Directions to use
- Firstly, you need to grate a small piece of ginger and put it in a small bowl.
- Add a tablespoon of honey to the bowl containing grated ginger and mix them.
- Eat this mixture 3-4 times a day to promote the release of gastric juices to improve digestion.
NOTE: Don’t drink water immediately after eating the mixture.
2. Yoghurt & Banana To Kick Out Bad Bacteria
Yoghurt with live bacterial cultures such as Bifidobacterium and Lactobacillus Acidophilus is one of the most effective home remedies for diarrhea.
These live bacterial cultures will help your body in restoring the good bacteria in your intestine and wipe out the bad bacteria causing diarrhea.
According to a report published by the Journal of the American Medical Association, probiotics can help in reducing diarrhea due to antibiotic use.
What do you need?
- 4-5 Tablespoon of Yogurt
- 1 Banana
Direction to use
- Purchase a yogurt that is not pre flavored and put it in a bowl.
- Take a banana, chop it into small pieces and mix it with yoghurt.
- Now enjoy eating it! Eat this twice a day and you’ll feel a noticeable relief.
3. Chamomile Tea To Decrease Your Intestinal Inflammation
Antispasmodic properties of Chamomile can help you in providing relief from your abdominal pains and stomach disorders like diarrhea.
It also aids in reducing intestinal inflammation and soothes the aggravated parts of the digestive system to provide instant relief. It’s also used to get rid of heart burn.
- 1 Teaspoon of dried Chamomile flowers
- A cup of water
- 1 Tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- Take a cup of water in a pan and add a teaspoon of dried chamomile flowers to it.
- Boil it for 4-5 minutes and then throw away the dried leaves.
- Add a teaspoon of fresh lemon juice to your hot Chamomile tea and drink it to reap the benefits of your hot beverage.
Note: People who are allergic to ragweed shouldn’t use this home remedy for diarrhea.
4. Fenugreek Seeds & Yoghurt To Get Rid Of Diarrhea Quickly At Home
Fenugreek seeds can work wonders for you to treat diarrhea because it contains high mucilage content that provides a strong anti-diarrheal effect. It can be one of the most effective natural remedies for diarrhea.
What You Need?
- ½ Teaspoon of Fenugreek seeds
- 4 Teaspoons of Yogurt
- ½ Teaspoon of Cumin seeds (Optional)
Directions To Use
- Take 4 teaspoons of yoghurt in a small bowl and add half teaspoon of Fenugreek seeds to it.
- If you want, you can add half teaspoon of cumin seeds to the mixture to enhance the overall taste. Mix them well before you eat.
TIP: Take this mixture thrice a day to cure diarrhea quickly and get relief.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar To Get Rid Of Diarrhea Fast
Apple Cider Vinegar is the most common ingredient used in most of the home remedies for common problems faced by us in everyday life.
ACV has a number of good properties that can help cure various common problems experienced by your body, including diarrhea. It aides in killing the bacteria causing diarrhea due to its antibacterial properties.
What You Need?
- 1 Tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar
- A Glass of Water
- Take a tablespoon of ACV and mix it in a glass of water.
- After mixing them, drink the mixture.
TIP: Drink this mixture twice a day to get quick results.
6. Black Seed Oil
A number of health problems can be treated using Black seed oil, including asthma, colic, constipation, diarrhea, gas and lots more.
- 1 Tablespoon of Black Seed Oil
- 1 Cup of Yoghurt
- Take a tablespoon of black seed oil and mix it in a cup of yoghurt.
- Eat this mixture twice a day to get rid of diarrhea fast.
7. Oregano Oil – “Oregano Is The Spice Of Life”
Oregano oil is one of the best diarrhea home remedies to get rid of your problem as soon as possible.
It is known to have anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties, which can help in treating diarrhea caused by the intestinal bacterial infection.
- 1 Tablespoon of Oregano Oil
- 1 cup of water
- Take a tablespoon of oregano oil and add it to a cup of water.
- What are you waiting for? Just Drink It!
TIP: If you want to stop diarrhea fast, you can follow this home remedy thrice a day.
8. BRAT Diet To Get Rid Of Diarrhea
Some of you might have heard about BRAT diet. But, if you don’t know what BRAT diet is, then let me tell you that it’s an acronym that stands for Banana, Rice, Applesauce and Toast.
This is a type of bland diet that doctors often recommended to people recovering from a gastrointestinal infection.
Whenever you’re having your meal, just mix up small portions of each food product mentioned above. Do not put butter on your toast as it can further aggravate your condition.
Note: Don’t eat too much of the diet at once as it can upset your stomach further.
9. White Rice Can Be Effective
You may be shocked to see white rice in our list of home remedies – How to get rid of Diarrhea?
White rice is among the recommended bland foods that you can eat during diarrhea because it’s easy to digest. Moreover, it can be beneficial in decreasing the amount of stools by hardening it.
NOTE: You should eat only small amounts of white rice without any added spices or sauces.
10. Carrot soup
Carrots are a high-bulk food and is believed to have antidyspeptic effects. Its soup is particularly good for children recuperating from diarrhea as it provides essential nutrients, which are lost during diarrhea.
1/2 cup water
Salt to taste
Simply wash, scrape and finely chop the carrots. Then, pressure cook the carrots with water for about 15 minutes. Drain the liquid and add salt according to your taste.
Eat this soup daily for a few days to get fit again.
11. Heating Pad To Soothe Your Cramped Muscles
Abdominal cramping is also known to trigger diarrhea and the best way to stop it fast is to soothe the cramped, stressed out muscles. You can do that by placing the heating pad over your abdomen.
Note: You shouldn't directly apply heat on your bare skin – Use at least 1-2 layers of cloth to protect it from intense heat.
12. Rest Is Best When You’re Not OK!
One of the best things you can do to heal your body during any illness is to rest at home. When you rest, you give your body the opportunity to fight off any bad bacteria or virus responsible for your diarrhea.
Moreover, if anxiety is an additional agitator of your diarrhea, nothing will work better for you than resting at home.
- Stay Hydrated and drink at least 8-10 glasses of water
- Drink sports drink that are not caffeinated
- Eat small meal instead of big meals
- Avoid drinking acidic drinks like citrus juices
- Avoid dairy products
- Avoid fatty foods
- Avoid eating chewing gums containing sorbitol or other artificial sweeteners
- Avoid drinking alcohol or caffeinated drinks
- Avoid foods that can cause stomach distress like foods high in fiber
We hope that our list of natural remedies to get rid of diarrhea proves effective for you. If your condition doesn’t improve within 2 days, you must visit a doctor.
If you have serious symptoms of diarrhea, you should consider seeking medical help as soon as possible because your condition can worsen if not treated soon.
If our article helped you in solving your problem, you can share the remedy that worked out for you in the comments. Don’t forget to share it with your friends so that they can be benefited.