Acne Sucks! But Acne Scars Sucks Even More!
Acne or pimples hurt when they start forming on our face and they look disgusting when they appear. But, your journey with those embarrassing acne may not end there.
After acne or pimples are gone, they leave a little parting gift on your skin that gives you nightmares for months. Mostly teenagers suffer from this problem because of hormonal changes and then they search Google for questions like – How to get rid of acne scars overnight?
Most of pimple or acne scars will fade away after a few months. But, if you want to speed up the healing process of your skin and look good, we’ve got some quick home remedies for you. These home remedies can make acne scars a thing of the past and give you a glowing skin.
Here Are 11 Home Remedies That Work As Magic Bullets To Get Rid Of Acne Scars
1. Lemon Juice & Honey – How Can These 2 Ingredients Treat So Many Problems?
Whenever you’re looking for home remedies to treat skin conditions or any other common problems related to your body – You’ll always find Lemon & Honey. Alpha-Hydroxy Acid (AHA) is a common ingredient found in various creams to treat skin conditions, especially acne scars.
You may not know, but lemon juice acts as a natural AHA and is very effective to fade scars. Lemons are rich in Vitamin C, which helps in rebuilding collagen and give you a young, healthy looking skin.
Honey is a natural anti-inflammatory agent and contains a number of antioxidants and vitamins like vitamin B2, B3, and B5. All these minerals and vitamins in honey are great for your skin and helps to make scars less visible.
- 1-2 Fresh Lemons
- 1 Tablespoon of Honey
- Cotton balls
- Take 1-2 fresh lemons and squeeze them in a small bowl to take out its juice.
- Take a tablespoon of delicious honey and add it to the fresh lemon juice.
- Make sure you properly mix them well before dipping the cotton ball.
- Apply the honey and lemon mixture to your acne scars and leave it for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse it off with water and apply moisturizer.
TIP: Follow this remedy daily for 3-4 weeks to get rid of acne scars.
2. Using Olive Oil To Battle Acne Scars
Your skin loves olive oil because it contains a whole lot of vitamins (A, B1, B2, C, D and E) iron and antioxidants. The anti-inflammatory properties of olive oil are very effective to get rid of acne scars fast.
It is also an incredible anti-aging ingredient found in various skin care products. It is also used to get rid of stretch marks and dandruff. It suits all types of skin, so just follow this one of the best home remedies for acne scars without having a second thought.
- 1-2 Teaspoon of olive oil
- A small bowl of warm water
- A towel
- Take 1-2 teaspoon of olive oil in your palm and gently apply it to your face with more focus on the acne scars.
- Keep massaging your face until the oil has been completely absorbed by your skin.
- Take a towel and dip it into warm water.
- Now wring out the wet towel and put it on your face to get the steam.
- After 4-5 minutes, wipe away the excess oil from your face with that same towel.
- Wash your face with lukewarm water after 2-3 minutes.
- Repeat it daily for 2-3 weeks to see desired results.
NOTE: Don’t rub your face with a wet towel because you can hurt yourself.
3. Wonder Herb Aloe Vera Can Combat Your Acne Scars
The miracle plant – Aloe Vera is used to treat various problems related to our body like heartburn, stretch marks, razor bumps, hickies etc. The gel from the fresh leaves of Aloe Vera is a potent source of vitamins (C and E) and minerals that helps to heal skin and remove pimple scars on your face.
It contains two hormones – Auxin and Gibberellin that have anti-inflammatory and healing properties. If you’re lucky to have this plant in your garden, then you should benefit from it by using it as a natural moisturizer.
Fresh Aloe Vera leaves
Directions to use
- Take a leaf of Aloe Vera plant and peel its outer layer.
- Beneath this layer, you’ll see a sticky gel like substance, which you have to apply on your acne scars.
- Rinse your face with cold water after 25-30 minutes.
- Follow this home remedy twice a day for a few weeks and see the difference. Not only will you be able to get rid of acne marks, but also your skin will start glowing.
4. Exfoliate Your Acne Scars With Baking Soda
Baking soda is known to have exfoliating properties and when you apply it on your skin, it removes dead skin cells and dirt particles. Baking soda helps to shed the skin that can be effective to get rid of pimple scars, blackheads by encouraging the growth of new skin cells.
What do you need?
- 1-2 Teaspoons of Baking soda
- 1-2 teaspoon of fresh water
What you need to do?
- Take 1-2 teaspoons of baking soda and make a thick consistent paste by mixing it with 1-2 teaspoon of fresh water.
- Apply this consistent paste on your pimple scars and gently massage it for 2-3 minutes.
- Wash your face with cold water after 7-10 minutes and moisturize your skin.
- Repeat this remedy 2-3 times a week.
5. Treat Your Stubborn Scars With Vitamin E Oil & Bring The Glow Back To Your Skin
Vitamin E is one of the best vitamins for your skin. Using it as a moisturizer can make the spots or acne scars less noticeable on your face. Vitamin E along with Vitamin A can help you to give soft, supple and blemish free skin. However, if you have severe acne, you should consult a dermatologist before using it.
What do you need?
- Small bottle of Vitamin E oil
- Boiling water in a big bowl
- Firstly, you need to boil water in a big bowl and then give steam to your face.
- Skin pores will open up after you give steam.
- Now, take a few drops of Vitamin E oil in your palm and gently massage it to the acne scars on your face in circular motion.
- Keep massaging your face till the oil is completely absorbed by your skin.
- Rinse your face with cold water after 30 minutes.
- Repeat this remedy daily for 2-3 weeks to observe best results.
Precaution: People with sensitive skin should always do a patch test before applying vitamin E oil on their face.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar for Acne Scars
Talking about home remedies for acne scars and forgetting Apple cider vinegar – Not possible. ACV is used not only to treat acne scars, but also to treat various other common health and skin problems like sore throat, hiccups, skin tags, dandruff etc. It is a natural astringent and is also a good natural anti-septic.
It contains acetic acid, aldehydes, amino acids, anti-oxidant, carbolic acid, ketones, minerals, vitamins and many more. All these help in treating various health conditions including pimple scars. ACV helps in fading away the acne scars to a great extent by scraping off the dead skin cells.
- 1 Tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon of Water
- Some Cotton balls
- Take a tablespoon of each ACV and water in a small bowl and mix them.
- Apply it to the affected areas using a cotton ball dipped in the mixture.
- Rinse it off with cold water after 10-15 minutes.
- Repeat this for a few weeks and have blemish free skin.
7. Tomatoes To The Rescue
Tomatoes are great for our skin and its pulp can work as a magic bullet to remove acne scars from your face. Since tomatoes are rich in vitamin A, it can help in boosting the speed skin turnover when applied topically.
Tretinoin, a derivative of vitamin A is a common ingredient found in various popular acne treatment creams and you’re getting it naturally from tomatoes. Antioxidants in tomatoes can help in rejuvenating your skin and give you a healthy glowing skin.
2-3 Fresh Tomatoes
Directions to use
- Take 2-3 fresh red tomatoes and cut it into small pieces.
- Mash these small pieces of tomatoes to make a pulp and apply it on your face.
- Wash your face with cold water after 20-25 minutes.
- Repeat this home remedy for a week and see the results.
8. Cucumber – Your Skin’s Best Friend
Cucumber is well-known for its healthy skin benefits and is a popular ingredient found in various skincare products. Cucumbers are valuable source of antioxidants, including vitamin A, vitamin C, beta-carotene and magnesium, which are great for your skin. Let your skin thank you after you apply cucumber.
- 1 Fresh Organic Cucumber
- 1-2 Tablespoons of Lemon Juice
- Take a fresh organic cucumber and cut off a few thin slices.
- Put the thin slices of cucumber in a mixer and mash it. Don’t overdo it!
- Now, add lemon juice to it.
- Then, apply the mashed cucumber on your face and keep it for 25-30 minutes.
- Wash your face with cold water and apply moisturizer.
- Follow this remedy daily for 2-3 weeks to fade acne scars.
9. Raw Potatoes – Maybe Shocking For You!
You may be surprised to see the name ‘potato’ in this list of home remedies to remove acne scars. You may feel this because you don’t know that the acids found in potatoes make them great for treating any kind of discoloration of skin. If you don’t trust me, just use it for a week and say bye-bye to your acne scars. It has no side-effects, so feel safe to use it.
What do you need?
- 2-3 Potatoes
- Take 2-3 potatoes and cut them into round slices.
- Pick any slice and gently massage it over your face in circular motion.
- Keep massaging your face until the slice of potato has dried out.
- Now, take another slice of potato and keep massaging it.
- You should massage your face at least for 20-25 minutes with these round slices of potatoes.
- Don’t rinse your face with water till the leftover potato juice is completely absorbed by your face skin.
- After washing your face, apply some moisturizer.
TIP: Follow this remedy 3-4 times a week and continue it for a month to see effective results.
10. Tea Tree Oil May Work As A Magical Potion
Tea tree oil has antibacterial, anti fungal, antiseptic and antiviral properties. Due to these properties this oil is used in various home remedies to treat various skin and hair problems like skin tags, dandruff, pimple, razor bumps etc.
It is particularly beneficial in healing the hypertrophic scars that are usually raised and red. Also, due to the anti-inflammatory effects of Tea tree oil, it can be helpful in getting rid of acne scars.
What do you need?
- 2 drops of Tea tree oil
- 2 Tablespoon of fresh water
- Cotton balls
- Take 2 drops of tea tree oil and mix it with 2 tablespoons of fresh water. Try to mix tea tree oil and water in 1:9 (One part of tea tree oil and 9 parts of water.)
- Dip the cotton ball in the diluted tea tree oil and apply it to your acne scars.
- Wash your face after 10-15 minutes and moisturize your skin.
Precaution: Undiluted tea tree oil should never be applied on skin.
11. Sandalwood Paste Can Fade Away Acne Scars
Sandalwood is a tried and trusted Ayurvedic ingredient that has been used to treat a host of skin problems. You can also find it in various skin care products. The best thing about Sandalwood – It suits all types of skin. Getting rid of acne scars can be easy using sandalwood paste regularly. You can use it daily to have a glowing healthy skin.
- 1 tablespoon of Sandalwood powder
- A few drops of Milk or Rosewater
- Take a tablespoon of sandalwood powder and add a few drops of milk or rosewater to it.
- Mix them well to form a smooth paste and apply it to affected areas of your face.
- Rinse it off with cold water after 25-30 minutes.
- Follow this remedy daily for 3-4 weeks to treat acne scars effectively.
Best Acne Scar Treatment Creams & Products
Try An OTC Skin Lightening Cream
There are a number of over-the-counter skin lightening creams that are effective in acne scar treatment. These creams contain ingredients such as vitamin C, mulberry extract, licorice extract, kojic acid and arbutin.
These ingredients can help you to lighten or fade skin hyper-pigmentation caused by acne scars without any irritation and damage to your skin. Products containing hydroquinone, a popular skin-lightening chemical should be avoided by you as it can irritate your skin.
NOTE: People with darker skin shouldn’t use skin lightening creams.
Retinoid Skin Products
If you have been battling moderate to severe acne with natural remedies and its not working out for you, then a retinoid may help. Actually, these skin care products contain vitamin A derivatives, which are great for human skin. These products are used to treat various skin problems including acne scars, fine lines, skin discoloration and wrinkles.
Retinoid enhances collagen production of your skin, which boosts in cell regeneration and thus helps in tackling your acne scars. These acne scar removal creams are bit costly, but they’re preferred by most of the dermatologists due to its fast effective results.
Salicylic or Glycolic Acid Skin Care Products
Salicylic and Glycolic acids are common ingredients found in many skin care products. Both of them are effective exfoliants which help your skin to shed layers and thus makes acne scars less visible.
If you are sick and tired of your acne scars because they’re not fading on their own even after several months, you may consider laser treatment. This treatment helps in stimulating collagen production or vaporizing the scar so that fresh skin can replace scar.
We hope that the above remedies to get rid of acne scars fast work great for you guys. But, don’t just start following all the remedies at once, start with one remedy at a time.
Although, all these are natural products, yet you can feel some irritation on your skin. But, if irritation increases and is painful for you, you should stop using it because it can aggravate your problem.
Please, make sure you read the notes given below some of the home remedies for acne because they’re very important. If any of the above listed cures has worked for you, then don’t forget to share your experience with us and other readers in the comments section below.