Codeine is classified as an opiate. (1)
Opiates are the narcotics with high addiction potential. It is prescribed to relieve a cough and pain as it is also a cough suppressant and a pain reliever.
Codeine abuse can lead an individual into a complete codeine addiction. (So, you are out of luck if you take the codeine in high doses.)
In this article, we will discuss this question that is being searched over the search engines – how much codeine to get high?
Is Codeine Harmful?
- If you are taking codeine under the professional supervision, you are safe enough.
- But some individuals indulge in codeine abuse to get relaxation and to relieve the anxiety symptoms.
- It is considered under the category of Schedule II drugs which have “high potential for abuse”.
Potentially Dangerous Side-Effects
Codeine is an addictive drug with dangerous side-effects. It acts as a relaxant for the central nervous system. One can experience:-
- Feeling of relaxation
- Bradycardia or slower heart rate
- Dizziness or drowsiness
Some unpleasant symptoms are:
- Restlessness to the extreme levels
- Abdominal cramps
Symptoms of codeine abuse:
- Blurred vision.
- Blue colored nails and lips/Cyanosis.
- Itching and scratching of the nose and the cheeks.
- Confused state of mind.
- Nausea and vomiting.
Effects of Codeine abuse
Some side-effects of the codeine can prove fatal. These are as follows:
- Gastrointestinal distress.
- Dangerously low blood pressure.
- Liver malfunctioning especially when Tylenol is formulated along with codeine.
- Impaired judgment and cloud memory.
Getting High On Codeine:
A cocaine abuser may experience the following ill effects:
➸Insomnia: Conditions like insomnia can go up to a dangerous stage which can get life-threatening.
➸Organ damage: The overdose of the codeine can lead to the organ damage.
➸Coma: The patient can undergo the stage of coma.
➸Chest pain: Chest pain can be associated with the cardiac abnormality, the lower heart rate is noticed in the patient with codeine abuse. This can lead to death.
➸Seizures: Seizure is a disorder associated with the neurological system. Long term neurological disorders can lead to the death.
Usual Dose Of Codeine:
The usual dose of codeine is decided by the medical practitioner.
If codeine is taken above the set limits, then it may become fatal for you.
The desired dose is 15 to 60 mg every 4 hours.
The maximum dose is 360 mg in 24 hours. It has been reported that the dose more than 60 mg may not relieve symptoms like pain and nausea.
But the dose above this can lead to adverse effects.
So, keep this in your mind. Rest, your Doctor can guide you well regarding this. I can just provide you a rough idea. This is all about how much codeine to get high.
Acetaminophen Codeine Dosage
Acetaminophen is a Tylenol. If you take this more than 4 grams in 24 hours, you can suffer from liver damage.
Precautions To Be Taken Before using Acetaminophen Codeine
Tell your Doctor before you start these drugs. If you have these medical conditions, you should not go for this combination.
- If you are a feeding mother, you are pregnant or planning for the pregnancy.
- If you are taking any other medication for some other condition or if you are taking any dietary supplement.
- If your body is allergic to narcotics like morphine, hydrocodone etc.
- If you have met with serious head injury or you have undergone head surgery.
- Abnormal growth in the brain, infection of the brain or the nerves.
- If you have any respiratory illness like asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease called COPD, or any lung disorder.
- If you have been a heart patient or if you have undergone any cardiac surgery.
- If you have any illness related to the kidney.
- If you take alcohol and you have the history of the alcohol or the drug abuse.
- If you are getting treatment for alcohol abuse.
Treatment And The Withdrawal
Well, nothing is impossible.
That is why I am going to utter the treatment and withdrawal methods. Note these:
Psychotherapy is the best treatment for codeine abuse. The psychological counseling sessions are done.
These counseling sessions can be done at home or at a clinic. This treatment is administered by the expert under the supervision of the whole team, it is because sometimes the patient can get violent and he can pose danger for the practitioner as well.
The Drug Withdrawal Therapy
This therapy is done to overcome the codeine drug abuse. In this, the patient needs to get admitted into the hospital because the doctor needs to supervise the patient’s condition.
In this, the practitioner brings down the dose of the drug step by step. Once the minimum level is achieved, the practitioner gives the discharge to the patient and call him at regular intervals for the follow-up procedure.
This is how it is done.
In this article, I have tried my best to discuss the side effects, normal dosages and how much codeine is needed to get high.
Now, you may have understood that if you take this drug in a well-mannered range, there is no problem. Going beyond the limits can create a havoc.
In the end, I would just like to say:
“If you want to get high, get high in thoughts, and get high on happiness.”
Tell me if you have some unanswered questions in your mind. I would love to help you.
Frequently Asked Questions About How Much Codeine To Get High
How much codeine does it take to get high?
Well, this is something we don’t approve of. 30 mg is a stable dose but if you chose more than this, you might get ill, it may have some adverse effects.
What is the dosage of codeine is required for pain relief?
30-60 mg of the dose is generally prescribed by the physician. Beyond this limit will lead to the abuse of codeine.