Shrooms, known as “psilocybin mushrooms’ or “magic mushroom” are natural compound, produced from 100 classified species. Psilocybin is a prodrug, which means, it remains inactive until it is ingested and broken down by metabolism.
You can consume these as salads or on pizzas. However, it can leave negative impact on health and sometimes causes serious health complication or death in some cases.
A complex mechanism of these magic mushrooms within your body may result in a number of experiences such as euphoria, dilation of time, mystical experiences, dissociation, hallucinations, etc.
Article includes :
- Effect of shroom on human body and brain
- How long shroom stay in your system
- Drug tests which can detect shroom in your body
- How to drain out shroom from body
Effects Of Shroom On Human Body And Brain
Well, once you take shrooms then the body starts absorbing the psilocybin and converts them into psilocin. It will slowly change your mood, contract the muscles and sensory perceptions.
Slowly, you will experience the auditory hallucinations, visual distortions, and nervous euphoria.
However, these reactions and effects depend on the type of mushroom you have consumed and your age. If you consume too many mushrooms, then the effects will stay with you for long.
How Long Does Shroom Stay In Your Body?
The longevity of its stay in the body depends on various factors such as age, metabolic rate, body mass etc. Even if, shroom excretes out from your body, it’s effect may stay longer with you. You will have the hallucination effect for about three to six hours.
Moreover, the amount of psilocybin remains active and detectable in the blood and urine for quite sometime.
In order to get your body completely cleansed may take approximately 15 hours. On the other hand, if psilocybin is administered intravenously, the half-life is around 7 hours.
It is unlikely to find remnants of shrooms in a person’s body after 24 hours from ingestion.
Factors That Influence Stay Of Shroom In Your Body
Just like any other drug, the duration for which shrooms stay in your system also depends on number of factors. Some of these includes:
Even if two individuals take the same amount of psilocybin at the same time, one may get it metabolized faster than the other one. A number of individual attributes often lead to a variation in the metabolism and excretion rate of such drugs.
The age of a person can determine the rate at which psilocybin will be metabolized and excreted from the body.
Usually, older individuals above the age of 65, are not able to metabolize and excrete substances as fast as healthy adults. This is due to the fact that, older individuals experience decreased hepatic/renal blood flow which is related to age.
The overall body mass of an individual can be considered as an important factor that decides the clearance rate of psilocybin from the body.
In general, the greater the body mass of a person is, compared to the dosage ingested, the faster the drug is likely to be removed from the system.
Psilocybin is primarily metabolized via a number of enzymes in the liver. Genetic variations that facilitate the functioning of such enzymes may lead to a faster metabolism and excretion of psilocybin out of the body.
When an individual takes shrooms empty stomach, then it might be absorbed quickly, than taken after meal. Consumption of food along with shrooms can have slight effects on excretion time.
Also, since the active ingredients present in shroom are primarily eliminated via urine, the level of hydration may also put an impact on the duration of systemic cleansing.
Psilocybin is first metabolized in the liver and then excreted via the kidneys.
If an individual has a history of hepatic or renal impairment, duration of his clearance rates might get affected. An individual with an impaired liver may take longer hours for the excretion of psilocybin than a healthy individual.
The basal metabolic rate(BMR) of every individual may be an important factor in deciding the excretion rate of psilocybin from the system.
Therefore, it is considered that individuals with a faster basal metabolic rate are likely to metabolize and excrete psilocybin faster than the ones with a relatively slower basal metabolic rate(BMR).
Studies suggest that the more acidic the urine is, the faster psilocybin and its metabolites are excreted from the system.
Individuals with an alkaline urine may absorb some of the metabolites before it is eliminated, resulting in longer clearance rates from the system.
A diet rich in citrus fruits and vegetables can make the urine alkaline, while a diet rich in meat can make the urine acidic.
Species Of The Mushrooms
The amount of psilocybin ingested can impact the clearance rates of an individual. In other words, the greater the dose of psilocybin ingested, the longer the body would take to clear it from the system.
Certain shroom are known to have a greater potency than others by having a greater amount of psilocybin in them.
Therefore, shrooms with greater quantities of psilocybin would require longer durations for to be cleared from the body than shrooms with relatively lower psilocybin content.
Mode Of Ingestion:
The mode which shroom is taken also plays a role in deciding the duration for which psilocybin stays in the system. Some forms of shroom may be taken orally while other forms may be taken intravenously.
It takes a longer duration for shroom to get metabolized and excreted when then are taken orally as compared to intravenous injections.
Generally, orally ingested shroom would require about 15 hours to get completely cleared out of the body.
When psilocybin is injected intravenously, it will be rapidly metabolized than if it is taken via oral ingestion. It would usually take 6.78 hours for psilocybin to be completely eliminated from the body if it is taken through intravenous injections.
Intake Of Other Drugs:
Co-ingestion of other drugs along with psilocybin can affect the metabolism and excretion rate of psilocybin.
Psilocybin is metabolized by a number of enzymes in the liver. If a drug interrupts with the functioning of these enzymes, clearance rates of psilocybin may be affected. If an individual takes a drug that is known to inhibit the functioning of those enzymes, psilocybin might be metabolized at a much slower rate than an individual who is free from drugs.
What Are The Different Type Of Drug Tests?
There are a number of tests by which psilocybin can be detected inside body of an individual. Such tests include urine tests, blood tests, and hair tests.
Urine tests are the most common tests used for detection of psilocybin, while other modes of the test, such as hair tests, can be taken in case of long detection periods.
Will Shroom Show Up In Blood Test?
Yes, of course, if the test is done in time the drug will show up in the test. This is the most common test of the drug, but it is costly. Blood tests are carried out by taking blood samples and sending them for analysis in the laboratory.
In blood, test shroom will last for a long period of 5 days. Blood tests are the most common tests for the drug.
Will Shroom Show Up In Urine Test?
A simple urine test can detect shrooms up to two to five days.
On the other hand, the saliva test is also very effective in detecting the level of psilocybin for one to five days.
Will Shroom Show Up In Hair Test?
In hair, the shroom effect lasts for quite a longer period. The test can be done within 90 days to detect the drug. Hair tests are conducted by taking a sample of hair follicles from the head or other regions of the body and sending them to the laboratory for analysis.
The effect of the drug remains in hair for 90 days. This is common for most of the drugs.
Who Needs To Be Tested For Shrooms?
Certain individuals such as criminals, rehab patients, employees, students or military personnel may be tested for shrooms.
What Are The Side Effects Of Taking Shrooms?
Once you consume the shroom, it reaches in your bloodstream within 20 to 40 minutes. Within 90 minutes the level of psilocybin will highest causes hallucination. It also has various side effects on the brain and the body as well.
Here are some of them:
- The feeling of anxiousness is the common side effect. If you have a propensity to spiritual side, then this may alter your reality. Shrooms make you feel lost and lose all the ideas of present reality.
- Some of the common side effects are numbness of limbs, sweating, dilation of your pupils, fatigue, loss of appetite, an increase in heart rate, frequent urination. You may also witness colors and flashes in front of eyes.
- The harmful effect in the body will be seen as muscle spasms, cramps, nausea, cognitive impairment, upset stomach, and hallucination. These will increase as you increase dose of shroom. In a nutshell, the whole effect is bad and fatal.
If you are affected by the side effects of shrooms, then you must get treatment immediately.
How To Execrete Shrooms From Your Body?
A number of tips can be suggested that can facilitate faster elimination of shrooms from your body. But it should be noted that these tips may not work equally for every individual. This is just a guidance that you may follow after knowing which ones would be the most suitable for you.
- Stop usage: If you want to get shrooms completely out of your system, then the immediate step that you need to take is to stop using it. The longer period for which you take shroom, the more it is accumulated in your body, and the longer it takes to be cleared out of your system.
- Reduce urinary pH: Acidic urine can help clear our psilocybin at a faster rate than alkaline urine. Therefore, it is always suggested to reduce the pH of your urine to facilitate faster metabolism and excretion of psilocybin from your system.
- Enzymatic inducers: Few drugs or supplements that enhance the metabolism activity of the enzymes that are involved in the breakdown of psilocybin can be beneficial in a speedy elimination of shroom from the body. Drugs that can increase the level of monoamine oxidase can boost elimination.
- Maintain hydration: Psilocybin along with a majority of its metabolites is excreted in Therefore, maintaining sufficient levels of hydration can facilitate excretion rates of psilocybin from the body. Staying hydrated also prevents reabsorption of the metabolites, resulting in faster clearance rates.
- Exercise: Regular exercising can increase your body’s metabolism rate, which can, to some degree, result into the faster metabolism of psilocybin in your system. Regular walk or jog can increase blood flow to the various organs of the body, resulting in a faster elimination of psilocybin within the lipids inside the body. If you are not active, find out exercises that can enhance clearance rates of psilocybin and its metabolites from the body.