Many people face the skin problems like acne. Even after trying seemingly everything but it won’t simply go away?
Acne can be a hereditary problem and requires proper treatment in order to reduce its effects permanently. Various commercial treatments for acne are available in the market but these treatments can be expensive, work rarely and can have side effects as well.
It is better to choose natural methods for acne treatment. Among the natural products available, Epsom salt for acne can help.
What is Epsom Salt?
Epsom salt’s chemical name is magnesium sulfate. Its chemical composition consists of ions of sulfur and magnesium.
It is long known for its medicinal properties as it can help in the treatment of various health problems and is known to have considerable impact in the treatment of acne.
Benefits of Epsom Salt for Acne
Epsom salt for acne works by killing the bacteria that causes acne and also helps in hydrating the skin that minimizes the possible chances of having acne or any other skin problem.
When sulphate and magnesium ions are absorbed by skin, more water is attracted by skin in order to dilute the salt and this way it helps in keeping your skin toned and look brighter.
Epsom salt has natural properties that can help in acne removal permanently.
Below are some of the properties of this amazing product.
- Epsom salt has natural anti-inflammation property and can reduce pain, inflammation, swelling, redness caused by acne.
- Acne is caused by bacteria that create body toxins but the magnesium enzymes present in Epsom salt can be used to purge toxins in skins.
- Detoxification property of Epsom salt helps in preventing bacteria breakouts.
- Helps in removing dead skin cells, impurities and dirt caused by acne
- Enables absorption of excess skin oil or bacteria that may clog skin pores
- Epsom salt composes of skin cleaning agents like Vitamin D, Zinc, Potassium and magnesium. It also consists of sulfur which is effective as antibacterial, anti-fungal and anti-viral agent.
- Presence of magnesium helps reducing swelling and pain induced by acne.
- After removal of acne, sometimes pimples leave red-brown scar in the end. But Epsom salt can help in reducing those fading little red marks on skin by hydrating your skin and improves its healing power.
Are there any side effects of using Epsom salt?
Clearly Epsom salt is not a drug so possibilities of having any side effects are relatively less unless a person is reactive to salt.
However one should take precautions before applying it. Since Epsom is a salt so applying it over open wound can cause pain.
Also it is an abrasive agent so it is important to mix it considerably with water before applying it. It is designed for skin use only and should not be put in close contact to eyes or should not be ingested.
How to use Epsom salt for acne?
One of biggest reasons why one should consider using Epsom salt is that it is a natural product for acne treatment. Facial acne has been one of the most problematic areas for most men and women.
Trying other expensive products in the market can have side effects on skin but Epsom salt is safe to use and easily available in the market.
It can be added to the warm baths and can be applied to remove acne from the areas like face, back, chest, leg and more. Epsom salt can be applied using following methods.
Epsom Salt Bath – One of the most popular and effective addition of Epsom salt is by using it during baths. It helps in soothing body muscles, open skin pores, hydrates skin and even helps in reducing joint pain with other benefits.
Mixing small concentration of Epsom salt in the bath tub full of water and immersing your body for around 20-30 minutes can be effective in treatment for various skin problems including acne.
Epsom Salt Face Wash – A simple method to use Epsom salt is by mixing it with water and gently rubbing the mixture on your face. Be careful while doing this as you should avoid getting the mixture close to your eyes since salt can cause pain.
Epsom Salt Cleanser – Another possible option to use Epsom salt is by adding a small concentration to a cleansing cream. The combination becomes a cleansing agent that can be used to clean your face and prevent acne.
Some of the manufacturers of skin creams also use Epsom salt in their products but this method creates your own solution by ensuring a proper concentration of Epsom salt.
Popular Methods To Use Epsom Salt
Mixing with Water
- Mix two tablespoons of Epsom salt with one cup of water.
- Use cotton and dip it under the mixture.
- Apply cotton ball to affected area.
- Rinse it with warm and cold water one by one and keep it dry.
- Repeat the procedure on daily basis for around 15 days to see visible effects.
Mix it with Honey, Olive Oil, and Lemon
- Create a mixture by adding one tablespoon of each honey, olive oil, fresh lemon juice and Epsom salt.
- Apply the mixture on skin and massage it for 2 minutes.
- Leave the mixture there for around 15 minutes.
- Rinse it with warm water and then let it dry.
- Apply moisturize and repeat the above steps on daily basis.
Mix it with Egg and Milk
In case you have an oily skin, you can follow the below steps:
- Add half tablespoon of Epsom salt, raw egg, fresh lemon juice and half cup non-fat milk
- Wash the face and apply mixture to the wet skin.
- Let it dry for some time and then rinse it with water.
- Repeat the above steps daily to see the desired results.
Epsom Salt with Carrots and Mayonnaise
If you have dry skin then this carrot and Epsom salt face mask is good for you.
- Peel and grate 1 large carrot.
- Blend the mixture of graded carrot, half tablespoon of Epsom salt and one-and half tablespoon of mayonnaise to make it smooth.
- Massage the mixture on your skin and keep it there for at least 5 minutes and let it dry.
- Apply the oil-free moisturizer and repeat the above steps on daily basis in order to reduce acne.
Epsom Salt with Olive Oil
- Add equal quantities of olive oil and Epsom salt.
- Apply the mixture on your skin and massage it for sometime.
- Leave it there for some time and then rinse it with warm water.
- Repeat the steps on daily basis.
Tips And Precautions
- Avoid Epsom salt or mixture to get in contact with your eyes.
- Never try to rub plain Epsom salt on the skin as it may worsen the condition.
- Avoid storing Epsom salt in containers other than air-tight.
- Include garlic for getting more benefits from Epsom salt
- Consult a doctor in case you experience any side effects.
- Epsom salt works best when it is combined with healthy diet.
- Drink more water, do yoga and avoid sugar and carbohydrates along with its usage.
Does Epsom Salt Really Work?
Now that you are aware about Epsom salt and its benefits, it is time to do a little research about whether this product has really proven to work or not?
Going by the properties and composition of Epsom salt, it is highly clear that the product definitely has the required composition to treat most of the skin problems.
It may be possible that the results may take considerable amount of time but one cannot argue the fact that Epsom salt has been effective in reducing acne.
The idea is to use Epsom salt for acne in an effective manner by cleaning your skin with the mixture thoroughly and applying it twice a day in order to see its positive effects.
Hailed as a miracle product, Epsom salt home remedies for acne are great. It is a natural healer against any swelling, pain, redness, bacteria, fungal or viral infections on skin.
Not only it is natural, but it is also easily available in the market so one doesn’t have to buy those expensive acne treatment products. It is a great product for those who are in desperate need of getting healthier skin.
Is all Epsom salt the same?
All Epsom salt has naturally occurring minerals of sulfate and magnesium.
There are many ways of manufacturing and packaging Epsom salt, however chemically, it’s exactly the same.
Moreover, there are different “grades” of the salt for different uses such as agricultural applications and human use.
Packages that have a “drug facts” box or labeled as “USP” have been manufactured, tested and certified to meet regulatory standards of the FDA , and are deemed safe for human use.
Does Epsom salt dry out your skin and leave a residue just like sea salt?
Not at all. In fact, Epsom salt’s use for face and body is widely reported to soften the skin, and it rinses away completely.
From where can I buy Epsom salt?
Drug stores sell it in convenient packages. You can find it where you find aspirin, or Tylenol as it’s used as a treatment for muscle aches or in the laxative section.
Is it safe to ingest Epsom salt?
Epsom salt is FDA-approved laxative. However, it’s a good idea to consult your physician before ingesting any OTC medication.
What is the difference between bath salts and Epsom salt?
Epsom salt contains nothing but magnesium and sulfate. On the other hand, bath salts might contain other ingredients.
Bath salts available in the market at reasonable prices are not real bath salts at all. They’re concentrated mixture of toxic chemicals sold for high profit by unscrupulous manufacturers.
Is it safe to use Epsom salt if I have a medical condition?
Well, consult your doctor first, just to be safe.
Is it safe to put Epsom salt in my hot tub?
Consult with your local spa dealer to confirm whether it is safe to add it to your hot tub or whirlpool.
Is it safe for pregnant women to use Epsom salt?
Before using anything during pregnancy, splease consult with your physician.
I have a ring around my tub after using Epsom salt. How can I avoid this?
I don’t want to be the bearer of bad news, but it’s unavoidable.
The easiest way to clean your tub is by gently scrubbing the surface while there is still water in the tub Just after the bath, step out of the tub, get a sponge, and let the water and pressure remove the stain.
How can I store the Epsom salt?
You can store it in an airtight container.. Keep it away from direct sunlight.