Acne is much more than just red bumpy skin on the face. It is a scar on self-confidence. Unfortunately, 85% of people are affected by acne are of 12 – 20 years of age.
These are the years when the personality of a person is moulded. Acne can cause a lot of stress and alter social behaviour. It is important to pay attention to this problem at an early stage and seek treatment to avoid complications.
Many commercial treatments are available in the market. Dermatologists prescribe chemicals like benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid.
In some severe cases laser therapy is also suggested. But it is always advisable to go for natural remedies to treat acne, especially something like castor oil that always there in your own kitchen.
Main Cause of Acne
Each one of us has faced acne at some or other stage of our life. Sebum is natural oil secreted by the sebaceous glands. It keeps the skin moist but the same if inflamed causes acne.
Excess oil along with dirt and impurities clogs pores in the skin. This gets infected with bacteria and red swollen bumps appear on the face, neck, shoulder and sometimes legs. It may be in the form of blackheads, whiteheads, pimples and scaly red skin.
The best way to get rid of acne is to clear the pores and keep the skin protected. Castor oil for acne is an excellent antioxidant that cleans the skin and hydrates it to keep acne away forever.
Features of Castor Oil: Why is it good for acne?
Castor oil has been an important ingredient of medicines for different types of ailments since the ancient Egyptian era. Castor oil is commonly known as a laxative for relieving constipation and inducing labor (therefore, it’s a blessing for pregnant women).
It is considered the best emollient for treating skin and hair problems. Castor oil acts in the following ways on different conditions of the skin to repair it:
- Toxins and impurities: As a natural astringent castor oil removes dirt, bacteria, oil and other toxins from the pores.
- Dryness: It hydrates the skin by stimulating production of collagen.
- Infection: It is anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-fungal and antiseptic therefore, kills harmful microbes that are a cause of acne and inhibits their growth.
- Inflammation: Presence of ricinoleic acid in castor oil helps reduce inflammation. Omega 9 fatty acid helps in fighting bacteria collected in the pores.
- Skin health: Antioxidants, Vitamin E along with many other vitamins and minerals promote healthy skin.
- Future Breakouts: Regular massage with castor oil improves circulation of blood keeping skin acne free.
- Clogging of pores: Dead skin cells and bacteria that clog the pores are removed by under-cylenic acid present in castor oil.
Different Forms to Use Castor Oil Cleansing for Acne
Castor oil is available in two types – hydrogenated castor oil and Jamaican black castor oil. Hydrogenated castor oil is pure and organic. It is thick and has the consistency of wax. It is used as a base of many cosmetics and is found to be helpful for acne treatment as well.
Black or Jamaican Black castor oil is extracted from roasted castor beans and contains ash. This ash content makes it even more effective for removing acne as it slows the production of sebum.
Abundant phytochemicals and fatty acids present in it keep skin and hair healthy. Follow the procedure given in the next section to use both types.
Organic and natural facial soaps contain castor oil as base because it has cleansing properties. To use it rinse your face with warm water and work up the lather of the soap in your palm.
Massage the lather into your face and neck in slow circular motions. Rinse your face with warm water and then wash it with cold water to close the pores.
Instructions to Use Castor Oil for Acne and Acne Scars
Following is a step-wise regime that can be done twice or thrice a week to clear acne in just 10 to 15 days can help in curing acne.
- Steaming hot water in a large bowl
- Hydrogenated or black castor oil.
- Lean your face for a few minutes over the bowl of hot water and hold a towel over your head to avoid steam from escaping. Feel your pores open up preparing them to receive castor oil.
- Dampen the wash cloth with warm water and pour 4-5 drops of castor oil on it.
- Gently rub the wash cloth with oil on the affected area in circles.
- Let castor oil stay on your skin overnight.
- Remove the oil from your skin with a wet cloth and rinse your face with cold water. You may also rub ice on your face. This will close the pores so that no dirt and impurities enter it anymore.
- Wash your face with a mild face wash to remove the remaining oil from the skin.
This will help to clean the pores and kill all harmful bacteria that cause acne. To avoid further breakouts and maintain clear skin follow the deep cleansing method.
Experts suggest that castor oil should be mixed with other essential oils to dilute its potent effects. For deep cleansing the skin with castor oil mix it with sun flower seed oil or extra virgin coconut oil. In case your skin is oily keep the ratio 30:70.
For dry skin the ratio should be 10-90 and for balanced skin it should be 20-80. Follow the procedure below at least once a month to deep cleanse you skin:
- Wash Cloth
- Hot running water
- Correct oil blend for your skin type
- Take generous amount of oil on your palm and rub them together to warm it.
- Massage the oil on your face slowly with firm circular motion, concentrating on the problem areas.
- When the pores are saturated with your preferred oil blend spread a wash cloth soaked in hot water over it.
- Let it stay like that till it cools and then wipe the oil gently with the wash cloth. Rinse the cloth in hot running water.
- Repeat these steps two to three times to get clean and flawless skin. Remember not to scrub at all.
Mix It with Your Favorite Ingredients
Castor oil in itself is a very effective treatment for acne but when mixed with some other ingredients as the base oil, the potential increases manifold. Let us see different ways in which it can be used efficiently.
Castor oil, Almond oil and Camphor oil
- Mix half tablespoon castor oil, half cup tablespoon and one teaspoon camphor oil in a bowl.
- Wash your face with a mild face wash and pat dry.
- With your fingertips, massage the mixture into your skin.
- Let it stay overnight and then wash off in the morning with warm water.
- You can repeat this every night till you see good results.
Castor oil, Almond oil and Steam
- Mix equal parts castor oil and almond oil.
- Wash face with mild cleanser and dry it.
- In a large bowl take steaming water and lean your face over it to take the steam on your face for 20 minutes.
- Hold a towel over your head to keep the steam from escaping.
- After that, gently massage the oils into the skin and leave it overnight.
- Clean your face with cold water to close the pores.
- You can do this every night for acne and wrinkle free skin.
Olive oil and Castor oil for Acne
- Mix two tablespoon of castor oil and one table spoon of olive oil.
- Apply a thick layer of this mixture on your skin with your fingertips.
- If you do not have time leave it on for 30 minutes otherwise let it stay overnight.
- Wipe off with damp cloth to get glowing and radiant skin.
- This mixture cleanses clogged pores and thus, removes acne.
Castor oil and Grape seed oil
- Mix equal quantities of both these oils.
- Also add two drops of either of these: tea tree oil, lemon grass oil, Indian lilac oil.
- Apply the combination on the face and neck paying more attention to the affected area.
- Massage with finger tips for 5 minutes and leave it overnight.
- In the morning soak a washcloth in water and place on your face, repeating this thrice.
- Remove excess oil from your face and neck and apply apple cider vinegar to tone the skin.
This helps in breaking up acne and dissolving old makeup or grime on the skin cleansing it completely.
Castor oil and Jojoba oil
- Mix one teaspoon castor oil and three teaspoon jojoba oil.
- Clean your face and massage this mixture on skin in circular motions.
- Place a warm soaked washcloth on your face and let it stay there for a minute.
- Splash your face with cool water and pat dry.
- Repeat this procedure daily to get supple and clear skin.
Things to Remember
Castor oil can be very useful to treat ailments of skin and hair but everyone is unique and you may face problems with it. Before you go for these treatments try it, do a patch test on your skin to be sure it doesn’t cause any irritation.
It is always advisable to consult your doctor once before starting any new treatment. If you face a problem even after testing the method stop the treatment immediately and see a doctor if it persists.
The amount of castor oil to be used is different for dry and oily skin. Experiment with varied amounts till you find your perfect preparation. In case it is difficult to clean it off your skin use a mixture of baking soda and water to wash it off. Do not let it get into your eyes.
Use good quality organic castor oil that is free from impurities. You may choose cold press or pure castor oil from organic brands that can be easily procured from grocery stores or pharmacies.
Eat healthy, balanced diet and exercise regularly. Water is the best detox drink for the body. So drink enough water to keep all skin problems away.
Castor oil is a wonderful remedy for acne that cleans your skin and makes it healthy too. The viscosity of this oil allows it to be diluted with other oils making it even more potential. Discover your mix and use it regularly to get clean and healthy skin.