I used to have really stubborn sweet tooth but I was able to relieve some of my dependency on sugar by following a low sugar diet plan.
You must be thinking that I’ll ask you to eat that not-so-tempting bland food. Fortunately, you’re wrong, this week-long low sugar meal plan is unbelievably delicious and nutritious too.
What Is Low Sugar Diet And Its Purpose
The diet aims at keeping your energy levels high and your mood regulated by balancing blood sugar with right combination of foods.
If you follow this diet religiously (without cheating), then after the first few days, your sugar cravings will reduce for good. And by the end of the week, they’ll be much lower with your own grace. *wink*
Every meal has protein, which diminishes the cravings by helping keep blood sugar in control.
The meals don’t include any hyper-processed starchy foods, like bagels, bread, and crackers, which are quickly digested by our system and contribute to sugar cravings.
People who are used to eating a hell lot of sugar, they might have dulled their taste buds to the flavours of natural foods.
But you need not to worry — just as you learnt to love all that extra evil sugar, you’ll learn to unlove it too.
And yes, if the plan feels like too much food, then simply cut portion size.
List of Low Sugar Foods
- Meat – Beef, pork, lamb, chicken and others
- Fish – Salmon, haddock, trout and many others
- Eggs – Omega-3 enriched or pastured eggs
- Vegetables – Spinach, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots and many others
- Fruits – Apples, pears, oranges, blueberries, strawberries
- Nuts & Seeds – Walnuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, etc
- High-Fat Dairy – Cheese, heavy cream, butter, yogurt
- Fats and Oils – Coconut oil, lard, olive oil and cod fish liver oil
Things to remember once plan is over?
Well, don’t even think about touching the sweet stuff, just carry your healthy habits forward and follow the 80:20 rule.
This means having 80% of what you eat during the plan, and the other 20% can include sweet treats like chocolate, but the dark ones only.
Here Is Our Tasty & Healthy Low Sugar Diet Plan
2 poached eggs over wilted spinach sautéed with olive oil, salt, garlic cloves and fresh pepper.
Serve with 1 sprouted-grain toast spread with a little butter.
Here is a video if you don’t know how to poach an egg in a perfect way.
An apple with 1/4 cup raw almonds
1 cup Mexican lentil soup with 3 rye crackers spread along with olive tapenade and topped with 1/4 cup of crumbled feta.
Recipe for Mexican Lentil Soup
- 400-g bag red or green lentils
- 2 red or green bell peppers
- 1 large onion
- 4 carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 3 jalapenos
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin ½ – 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Wash lentils properly
- Finely chop the onion
- Cut bell peppers in half, remove seeds and chop
- Peel and chop carrots and celery
- Core and seed jalapeños, then mince them along with garlic
- Heat oil in a large saucepan set over medium-high heat
- Now, add everything you chopped in the oil
- Stir-fry for about 8 minutes until vegetables are slightly soft
- Then, stir in the remaining ingredients
- Bring the mixture to boil, but don’t forget to stir often
- Cover the pan with a lid and reduce the heat to medium-low
- Simmer for 30 to 40 minutes until lentils and vegetables are tender
- Taste and add more salt and seasonings, if you feel the need of it
- Serve hot with crusty baguette
NOTE: You have to add a little water if the mixture is too thick. You can also whirl the soup in a food processor for a heartier consistency.
Also you can keep the soup covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
1/2 cup Golden Hummus and 1 cup sliced veggies
Recipe for Golden Hummus
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 540-mL can chickpeas
- 3 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch of pepper
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- Pierce potato with a fork and place them in microwave
- Microwave on high until for 4-6 minutes.
- Let them cool down and then, cut in half.
- Scrape flesh into a food processor, using a spoon
- Rinse and drain chickpeas and add them to potato
- Add lemon juice to potato along with other ingredients
- Purée until smooth
Serve with cucumber rounds and steamed fiddleheads.
You can keep Hummus covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days.
Try this refreshing combo of celery, lettuce, cucumber, kale, lemon and apple for a healthy dose of low-calorie anti-oxidants.
An apple, spread with 2 tablespoon of natural, unsweetened peanut butter
Leftover white-bean chili served with carrot sticks
Side: Two slices aged white cheddar and Two hard rye crackers and one pear
Leftover Golden Hummus
Top two slices of toasted sprouted-grain bread with 1/4 ripe avocado, salt, and fresh pepper.
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt topped with 1/4 chopped walnuts and sprinkled with cinnamon
Leftover grilled chicken and cauliflower-garlic sauté
1/3 cup trail mixed with pecans, unsweetened dried tart cherries, pumpkin seeds, and flaked unsweetened coconut
Spring tofu scramble with a green salad
You can also have tofu scramble in your breakfast.
3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt in a parfait, layered with 1 cup thawed or fresh blueberries, 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, 1 tbsp hemp hearts, 1 tbsp dried tart cherries, and sprinkled with cardamom
1 pear and 1/4 cup of raw almonds
1 cup Mexican lentil soup with 3 hard rye crackers and topped with 1/4 cup of crumbled feta
1/2 cup of Crispy Madras Chickpeas
Recipe for Crispy Madras Chickpeas
- 2 cans of 540-mL chickpeas
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 tablespoon coriander
- 1/4 tablespoon salt
- 1/8 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tablespoon cumin
- 1/4 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1/4 tablespoon pepper
- Position oven racks in centre
- Preheat to 400F
- Drain and rinse chickpeas and pat dry with paper towel
- Now, toss them with olive oil, then divide between two large rimmed baking sheets
- Spread out by keeping them separate
- Roast for 40-45 minutes until golden and crisp, gently shaking and rotating sheets halfway through
- Combine other ingredients, except cayenne pepper in a bowl
- After that, stir in cayenne pepper
- In the end, stir warm chickpeas into spice mixture and toss to coat
Serve with a fragrant mug of chai-steeped hot toddy and enjoy!!
Seared Halibut with Mango and Cilantro Beurre Blanc Sauce
Recipe for Seared Halibut with Mango and Cilantro Buerre Blanc Sauce
- 4 Halibut filets
- Olive Oil
- ¼ cup white wine
- ¼ cup chopped mango
- 1 tablespoon finely minced red onion
- 2 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoon white wine
- 1 tablespoon finely minced fresh cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the halibut:
- Heat olive oil over medium heat
- Place halibut fillets in the oil and sear for 3 minutes on each side
- Reduce heat and pour wine and cook covered for 2 minutes
- And you’re done.
For the sauce:
- Put onion, mango, vinegar, wine, and lime juice in a sauce pan over high heat and reduce until all the liquid is gone
- Remove from heat
- Pour the sauce into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Now, pour the sauce back into the sauce pan and heat over low heat
- Add cilantro and stir
- Add salt and pepper
Garnish with chopped mango and a leaf of cilantro and eat heartily.
½ cup of organic cottage cheese topped with 1/2 cup of thawed blueberries
¼ cup of raw sunflower seeds.
Basil-pesto salad with ½ can of wild salmon or light tuna.
- ¼ cup of basil pesto
- ¼ cup of plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 minced anchovy fillets
- 1 head bibb lettuce (torn)
- 1 head radicchio (torn)
- 1 Belgian endive (torn)
- 2 sliced Jan English cucumber
- 1 avocado (cut into wedges)
- ¼ cup of chopped chives
- Whisk basil pesto with yogurt, lemon zest and juice, anchovies and mayo in a bowl
- Season with fresh pepper
- Layer radicchio, lettuce, and endive on a platter
- Top with avocado, cucumber, and chives
- Drizzle with dressing
An apple spread with 2 tablespoon of natural, unsweetened peanut butter
Beef barley soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 227 gm cremini mushrooms (quartered)
- 300 g beef tenderloin grilling steak (cut into small cubes)
- 2 tbsp dried oregano leaves
- ½ cup pearl barley
- 796-mL can diced tomatoes (drained)
- 900-mL carton no-salt beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tbsp salt
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high flame
- Then add onion and garlic and cook for about 2 minutes
- Add mushrooms, barley, tomatoes, bay leaves and oregano
- Cook for 3 minutes until mushrooms are soft
- Now, add beef, broth, and salt
- Bring the soup to boil and reduce heat to medium-low
- Simmer for 25-35 minutes, partially covered, until barley is tender
- Remove bay leaves before serving
2 poached eggs over wilted spinach, sautéed with olive oil, salt and fresh pepper
Serve with 1 piece of sprouted-grain toast with a little bit of butter.
- ½ cup Golden Hummus
- 2 slices aged white cheddar
- 4 hard rye crackers
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup sliced bell peppers
½ cup plain Greek yogurt sprinkled with cinnamon and topped with ¼ cup of chopped walnuts
1 diced date
Spring tofu scramble with green salad (of your choice)
Gluten-free buckwheat pancakes
- ½ cup dark buckwheat flour
- ¼ cup white-rice flour
- ¼ cup yellow-corn flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup extra-smooth ricotta
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup milk, or soy milk
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- Whisk all flours with cornstarch, baking powder and salt
- Whisk eggs with ricotta, milk, oil and vanilla
- Then, stir it into flour mixture
- Heat a large non-stick pan over medium flame
- Scoop about ¼ cup batter into pan
- There should be enough room for 3 pancakes in the pan
- Cook for 1-2 minutes until bubbles start forming on the top
- Flip and cook until golden-brown
- Reduce heat if pancakes if you feel the need of it
- Remove to a platter and cover them to keep warm
- Repeat the same procedure with remaining batter
- Top with maple syrup and your favorite fruits
½ cup organic cottage cheese topped with ½ cup thawed blueberries
¼ cup of raw sunflower seeds
½ cup Crispy Madras Chickpeas
Grilled side of salmon with roasted vegetables and brown rice.
- 4 teaspoons of extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for the grill
- 1 (two and a half pound) skin-on side of salmon (pin bones removed)
- ½ teaspoon of fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 4 halved lemons
- 2 tablespoons of mixed chopped herbs such as marjoram, tarragon, thyme and parsley
- Oil the grill grates
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat
- Brush salmon with oil and sprinkle salt and pepper
- Place salmon on grill, skin-side down and let it cook up to about 15 minutes, gently flipping once, until golden brown on both sides.
- Use two large spatulas to flip the salmon. Or use a rimless baking sheet to help you flip the salmon and slide it back onto the grill
- Arrange lemons on grill with cut-sides down and grill for 5 to 7 minutes until deep golden brown and fragrant.
Once done, carefully transfer tasty looking salmon to a large platter, spread herbs on the top.
Serve with lemons on the side for squeezing.
Some Extra Diet Tips
- No white stuff i.e. white flour, white rice, white pasta, white bread etc
- No added sweeteners
- Avoid processed meats and processed fatty snacks
- You can have milk, tea (turmeric tea is a great option), coffee in moderation, but no juice and soft drinks
- Three meals and two snacks a day are ESSENTIAL
- No meal skipping especially breakfast
- A big NO to starchy veggies like peas corn or white potatoes
- Drink plenty of water
- Make sure to have lean protein with every meal and every snack
- Add naturally sweet foods in your diet that let you indulge in a healthy way
- Eat something every 3 to 4 hours to keep your blood sugar levels stable and stave off those evil cravings
Your stubborn sweet tooth might crave for carbs and sweet stuff at first, but this will settle within a couple of days.
So, we can conclude that low sugar diet plan can be a real lifesaver for many people, who want to drop those extra pounds of fat, or just improve their lipid and blood sugar levels.
And all this makes this meal plan worth a shot.
But only if they know, how to practice this diet successfully.
Therefore, try this and also let us know your recipes because everyone wants to tickle their taste buds in a healthy way.