Do you have a teenage daughter? Are you having a hard time dealing with her? Is your relationship with her getting strained and causing you stress? Believe it or not, but the kind of relationship a daughter shares with her mother sets the tone for all other relationships in her life.
This statement in itself is proof enough to conclude how powerful a mother and daughter relationship is. The self-esteem of your daughter seems to be directly affected by your relationship with her.
“Having a little girl has been like following an old treasure map with the important paths torn away.”
Two Approaches That Have Been Jeopardizing Mother Daughter Relationship Forever:
The acid test of any mother daughter relationship is the teenage years of her daughter. A lot of mothers tend to adopt extreme approaches- either they give their teenage daughters total freedom.
That is not the way to go since teens tend to act stupid sometimes. They need someone to guide them in the right direction. The daughter may even feel neglected.
The other approach that mothers adopt, which is actually more worse than the first one, is that they make their daughter’s life almost like a living hell by showing up wherever she goes. The constant vigilance is only going to make your daughter feel suffocated.
You may reason with yourself that you do it because you care for her and do not want her to get hurt. The inspiration here usually is an embarrassing incident which you went through in your teens and you do not want your daughter to go through the same pain and hurt you went through.
Someone said very heart touching Quotes about Mother and Daughter Relationship:
“By the time a woman realizes her mother was right, she has a daughter who thinks she’s wrong”
Here is the deal: In a mother daughter relationship, you need to let your daughter make her own mistakes! Only then will she learn. Being too strict is only going to hurt your relationship in the long run.
What you need is a balance between these approaches. Being strict only in very serious matters, but otherwise maintaining a friendly and easy going relationship can be useful.
5 Tips That Are Sure To Change Your Relationship With Your Teenage Daughter Forever:
Whatever your relationship with your daughter may be, there is always scope for improvement. So if you want to decrease the number of clashes you two have, here are a few things you can do from your side:
1. Don’t be scared to make the first move: Teenage daughters tend to feel awkward while sharing their problems with her parents. You could reach out to her and ask her about her day, her life, her friends.
In a mother and daughter relationship, there has to be a level of comfort enough to weed out any hesitancy in your daughter She should be able to come up to you herself to share her problems.
2. Don’t harbor unrealistic expectations: Every child has his/her own set of skills and interest. Don’t pressure her into taking up something she doesn’t like. Your mother and daughter relationship will suffer if you don’t keep your expectations realistic.
3. Be quick to repair any damage: Any healthy mother and daughter relationship does not run away from confrontation. Sometimes, they are inevitable. But always make sure any bad blood is resolved as soon as possible. The daughter is going to carry those feelings further in her life if you don’t talk it out.
4. Try gaining perspective by putting yourself in her shoes: Teens these days have a lot of pressure on them. Except for bullies and mean kids in school, social networking platforms too are causing stress among teens.
The answer here is to not spy on their accounts, but understand these new pressures. Make sure that your relationship is warm and comfortable. Only then will she honestly tell you about her problems.
You may also like to see: How To Decorate The Table For Mother’s Day Celebration?
5. Try and not bring up issues from the past: Women have the tendency of bringing up past issues while fighting over an issue of the present scenario. This will only jeopardize the issue at hand. So it’s advisable to focus only on the present and let sleeping dogs lie in order for your mother and daughter relationship to flourish.
Of all the mother daughter relationship quotes, this one is probably the best:
“A mother is she who can take the place of all others but whose place no one else can take.”
You can be your daughter’s best friend or end up becoming her worst enemy. It’s the little things we mentioned above that make the difference.